Guitar Evolution thoughts....

Atropos

May 19, 2003
San Francisco
massinova.com
I went to the Guitar Evolution show w/ Alex Skolnick trio, Chris Poland, and Marty Friedman last night. CRAZY stuff! Alex's band only seems to play cover songs, but he does a song like War Pigs and makes it all jazzy. I was more than impressed by his chops. Chris Poland's band was all right, but they felt a little too generic to me. Lotsa fast licks way up high on the neck, but nothing too original. The bass player was pretty sic though, I think more people were cheering his leads than Poland's. And finally Marty Friedman...

AWESOME!!! Both he and his accompanying guitarist tore it up. Marty definatly has not been sitting on his ass since Megadeth. He played a fairly wide varity of songs, from heavy power chords riffs to to a 10 minute mellow ballad. I can now DEFINATLY hear his influence in the Megadeth songs he played in. If Slash(GNR) and Joe Perry(Aerosmith) some how had a child togeather, I think it might sound a lot like Marty.

After the show (when about 90% of the people had left) they raffled off an Ibanez (GSA20 I think) guitar. 2 people ended up having their names drawn, so they had to rock paper sissors to see who got the guitar.

If this circus is stopping in a nearby town, I would HIGHLY RECCOMEND attending.

I went to the Sacto show last Friday -- Atropos, you described it right.

I knew what to expect from Skolnick -- in fact, I thought it was better than expected. He did all covers of old rock tunes, opening with Highway Star, and at least playing Detroit Rock City, War Pigs, a Led Zep tune I can't remember and others, but overall it was cool.

I didn't expect what I heard from Poland. I was figuring to get to some heavier shit, but no way. I am one of those who bought Return to Metalopolis, but got skunked because whoever manufactured the first lot of those discs inadvertently burned 'Harry's Swinging Big Band' instead of Poland's material. I've never heard the real thing, Dualrecto, so I don't know if he did or not. And after Friday night, I don't think I'll be getting anything from him. I didn't care for it at all.

Friedman fuckin' shredded, along with the other guitarist. Well worth the show right there, and it partly satisfied my need for metal. Right On!