Guitar Idol Competition

Tom Quayle and Chris Feener were the only ones who really interested me from last year's competition. There were some other good players who didn't make the finals that really should have (imo), such as Martin Wischman. I haven't really looked at many of this year's entries, though I know Jon Finn entered, so a lot of people might be fucked.

Not "old" per se....but it is last year's competition:) I believe it wrapped up back in June. I'll see if I can find a link to the current competition.

Not "old" per se....but it is last year's competition:) I believe it wrapped up back in June. I'll see if I can find a link to the current competition.

I found it. http://www.guitaridol.tv/home_page

I poked through...haven't found the two you mentioned yet...the one's I've seen so far are not very impressive. I guess I was impressed by the 2008's because they were already weeded out.

Tom Quayle and Chris Feener were the only ones who really interested me from last year's competition. There were some other good players who didn't make the finals that really should have (imo), such as Martin Wischman. I haven't really looked at many of this year's entries, though I know Jon Finn entered, so a lot of people might be fucked.

Just checked out Jon Finn...not a very impressive entry...kinda sloppy in parts and overall stiff, IMO.

So many of the entries sound the same...I can't even listen through...boring and no feel.

Hey Meedles, why don't you get in there! I would myself if I had time to slap something together.

The other two I mentioned (chris feener and tom quayle) were finalists from last year, they are both on the first link you posted. Martin Wischman didn't make it to the finals last year but I'm REALLY hoping he goes for it again this time. I don't think last year's entry really did him as much justice as it could have, here's a link to his youtube channel:

http://youtube.com/user/ElWischi

If nothing else, I'm really hoping they hold true to their word and make it a point to try to get a greater variety of players this year.

The other two I mentioned (chris feener and tom quayle) were finalists from last year, they are both on the first link you posted. Martin Wischman didn't make it to the finals last year but I'm REALLY hoping he goes for it again this time. I don't think last year's entry really did him as much justice as it could have, here's a link to his youtube channel:

http://youtube.com/user/ElWischi

If nothing else, I'm really hoping they hold true to their word and make it a point to try to get a greater variety of players this year.

Yeah...he's great...got a real flair for the fusion feel.

Good player but I don't think he could do any less for me from a musical standpoint if he tried.

Yeah...I like watching his hands...I'm not into the music, but the guy's got technique. I tend not to like "shredders" much. I've heard it all...it gets boring. Rarely does something stand out, and even rarer is having it good enough to fill an album with interesting material.

I generally don't like the neo classical shredder thing. I'm more fascinated by the technique...I think to myself, how can anyone have a life and practice that much...or I'm amazed that they remember all those damn notes and execute them impecably! Such is the case with this guy above...nothing really moves me...I just look and go "Geez!". Like Meedles, musically it does nothing for me and it's nothing I haven't heard before.

This summer I went to see Uli Roth and "friends"...it was Joe Stump and Alex Skolnick. Now these guys are well known shredders in their own right(Yes, I know Skolnick went on to do a jazz trio thing...which also did nothing for me). Anyway...they went into a minor key vamp and were improvising back and forth...Stump and Skolnick were embarrassing...they played like kids in a high school garage band. I thought I'd see some interesting improvisation, especially from Skolnick being that much of jazz is based on improvisation, but man was that a pathetic display. I'll bet there were kids in the audience that had better improv skills.

Point being...hmm...I'm not sure. Just sayin' that I really only find a rare shred album or guitarist that gives me some musical satisfaction.

There are a few guys in the fusion category that I think are quite talented. I think it's fun to see so many guitarists, good or bad, entering these things.

Wow, yeah he's got chops.

But the amount of neoclassical cliches in that song is EMBARASSING. And I LIKE neoclassical shredding. Still, I cringed at the intro and the first sweeping part. The lack of variety there makes Yngwie look like Zappa. And isn't he almost playing "Eclipse" by Yngwie at the one part? :lol:

Edit: I gotta say, the Becker-esque ending is kickass.

I can critique as a listener, but not as a player. It's so removed from my style of playing...I couldn't even play any of the cliches. Not that I'd want to, but I guess it would be nice...if I didn't have a job, a mortgage and 4 kids to deal with, I may be able to find the time to practice that much...ha!

I really think the guy's technique is awesome. He's like Yngwie meets Vinnie Moore.

Did you see his other stuff on Youtube...he's just a really good player...but anyone playing that style should limit their songs to 3 minutes...it ought to be a law...zzzzzz.