Metal on Idol

AC2

Sep 17, 2003
Charlotte, NC
pundithouse.com
I saw these on youtube and had to share.

Ari Koivunen was the winner of Finnish Idol this year. I wouldn't consider the vocal talent all that great, but when you are singing Sonata Arctica and Stratovarious songs in an American Idol like competition, well, you just rock.

The best part is the crowd shots with the young girls clapping along while the house band rocks out.

God I love cultural differences! We'd never get this on American Idol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChth3piVVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09mBB-TgVEM

Tony Kakko he is definitely not! But still, pretty damn cool. Like you ever going to hear anything like that on American Idol! Would be cool if anybody actually tried, though.

Hell...would not even see that on Rockstar......and if ever on Idol.........

.....I don't know dawg......i liked the energy, but you were kinda pitchy all over the place.....really did not do anything for me...I don't know....Paula?.....

Yeah the last Rock Star was very disappointing because they avoided a lot of hard rock/metal songs. I don't think they did any of the songs from the groups the 3 guys were from (Metallica, GNR or Crue). And the competition was pretty much fixed, so that was a debit against it as well.

:O Wow. That is pretty cool. To see people do Maiden, Stratovarius, and Sonata Arctica on an Idol talent show is cool. And those kids really aren't that bad - I doubt any of the guys on most American Idol seasons could sing those songs as well...

.....I don't know dawg......i liked the energy, but you were kinda pitchy all over the place.....really did not do anything for me...I don't know....Paula?.....

OMG! Too funny. I can sooo hear Randy saying that!

I also can't believe that this "kid" is actually 23 years old! They grow them young in Finland. :)

Oh, and I found this on his wikipedia article...probably the best "smack down" ever:
"Despite some criticism from the judges for singing only heavy metal songs in the finals, Koivunen was unperturbed. "I don't see any reason to consider what people might like, since it seems they like the same thing I do," said Koivunen."

Rock!!!!!

Ari Koivunen did not do a bad job on any of the songs I listened to from the youtube link. I think he did best on Still Lovin You. Would be great if anyone in the US did anything like these songs. I guess Daughtry is as close as we'll ever get.

Oh, and I found this on his wikipedia article...probably the best "smack down" ever:
"Despite some criticism from the judges for singing only heavy metal songs in the finals, Koivunen was unperturbed. "I don't see any reason to consider what people might like, since it seems they like the same thing I do," said Koivunen."

Rock!!!!!

Also found in that same Wikipedia article:

The fourth Idols final was held on March 22, and Koivunen chose to sing, in keeping with the week's theme, two songs by his own idols, the Led Zeppelin hit Rock and Roll and Hunting High and Low by the Finnish metal band Stratovarius. The judges, however, were not pleased with Koivunen's continuance of the heavy metal line, and gave him an unprecedented four negative reviews. The voting public was of a different opinion, as Koivunen again made it into the next round without being in danger of elimination.

Talk about the equivalent of a big middle finger to the judges! :Smug:

Typically, I don't usually give a shit about the albums that are produced from these "Idols" shows, but now, I am actually curious to hear this guy's album, Fuel For the Fire which is supposed to come out on the 30th of May, despite it being on a "Sony/BMG" label, a label that I try to avoid like the plague, especially after that big "rootkit" fuck-up.

Well, maybe Finnish Eurovision should take a page from the people. Sony/BMG and their cabal did everything short of assassination to get former "Idols" winner, Hanna Pakarinen, into Eurovision. What does Finnish Eurovision do for their showcase? They put on Apocalyptica for their entertainment! And, Hanna fell on her face in 17th. Gee, if only T-Stone was there.....

What does Finnish Eurovision do for their showcase? They put on Apocalyptica for their entertainment!
Well, Apocalyptica should have won the whole s**t, pity they were not competing. They put up an awesome show with a bunch of cute looking and a few not-so-cute looking circus entertainers *click* :headbang:

...have you ever seen anyone swallowing a light-saber before :zombie:

Well, Apocalyptica should have won the whole s**t, pity they were not competing. They put up an awesome show with a bunch of cute looking and a few not-so-cute looking circus entertainers *click* :headbang:

...have you ever seen anyone swallowing a light-saber before :zombie:

Well, they were DEFINITELY the highlight of the evening. And, they probably would have done extremely well, Much better then Hanna.

Hehe, I caught this awhile back and have been constantly playing his version of Perfect Strangers and Still Loving You. Kid has a good range and good taste. The attention didn't seem to go to his head at the end of the competition either. :kickass: