BADLANDS ON AMERICAN IDOL?

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
Okay, I'll most likely get blasted for admiting that I watch American Idol. But, did anyone see Bo Bice (which I don't care for) sing a Bandlands song last night.

Who would have thought that in the year 2005 that Ryan Seacrest would utter the word "Badlands" on national TV in front of millions of people on a bubble gum pop show. Bubble Gum or not, Good for Ray and the boyz!

fatesfan, out.

FatesFan said:
Okay, I'll most likely get blasted for admiting that I watch American Idol. But, did anyone see Bo Bice (which I don't care for) sing a Bandlands song last night.

Who would have thought that in the year 2005 that Ryan Seacrest would utter the word "Badlands" on national TV in front of millions of people on a bubble gum pop show. Bubble Gum or not, Good for Ray and the boyz!

fatesfan, out.

All I can say is, that it's about time for Badlands to get some exposure! Without a doubt, Badlands is one of the best, most underrated bands of all time! If you've never heard of Badlands, Ray Gillen, or Jake E. Lee, get busy, because you're in for a treat! :worship:

Ok, I'll bite....I've been watching AI, too...(whew, it feels good to get that off my chest).

I couldn't believe it either! Badlands? National TV? Fuck Yeah!

And, I think Bo actually did an incredible version. I've been waiting for him to pull some obscure (to the mainstream) song out of his ass all season. Finally!

:Smokin:

Force10 said:
What song did he sing??

In A Dream, is one of the few ballads that Badlands ever did. It was a wise choice of song on Bo's part for two reasons. First, Ray Gillen didn't do any high register stuff in that particular song, so it fit Bo's voice well. Second, that crappy band on the show could never pull anything off that Jake E. Lee did on guitar! :headbang: I mean Simon even slammed them one night on national television! It was pretty funny!

I have been watching it cause they had some rockers in it or else I really would'nt.
So I have kinda kept up and have been rooting for Bo. American Idol needs some good blood.
I was in shock when I heard the name Badlands, I was like wa wa what?
He did a great performance on that and for that I hope he wins. It gave me the chills and a great memory of the awesome band Badlands, Ray may he RIP.

I been rooting for Bo myself.. I don't actually watch the show though.. The news I watch in the morning before work does a spot on AI that's how I see it. lol It's excellent to see a Rock&Roller mix it up in a world full of mainstream bullshit... Just my .02$ :)

Rakosh had to call me and clue me in...

I think it's very cool...knowing damn good and well that the Idol producers had to secure permission to use the song in advance. "In A Dream" is an awesomely soulful acapella little doo-dad that Ray Gillen sang on Badland's "Voodoo Highway" album (which I believe is currently out-of-print)...and he gets the sole songwriting credit for the track...(I can only hope that his estate--or whatever--received something for it).

Anyway...not a fan of American Idol...certainly not a fan of this long-hair dumbass (although it's very cool to see a "rocker" go the distance), and I probably won't even be aware of his rise...then fall...once the "machine" gets done with him...

But...he did a service to cool metal fans everywhere by giving that song (and album) some much overdue (and needed) exposure.

Rock on!

American Idol is a guilty pleasure of mine. Not that I like Justin & Kelly (see avatar), I'm just being a smart ass. But I like Bo's voice. Hey, anybody who can make milliions of teenagers applaude to "Whipping Post," can't be all that bad!

AngraRULES said:
Bo is fucking awesome!

Yeah, I like him too. Besides, anyone who can get America's teenagers to applaude "Whippoing Post" is cool in my book. What I like most about Bo is that he can turn teens on to music they might not otherwise listen to. If Bo covers "Whipping Post" on an album and kids buy it. Maybe a few of them will chcek out the original Allman Brothers version and suddenly realize, "hey, that's a cool sounding guitarist! Maybe I'll check out some other 70's rock that features decent guitar playing!"

Schizoid Man said:
Yeah, I like him too. Besides, anyone who can get America's teenagers to applaude "Whippoing Post" is cool in my book. What I like most about Bo is that he can turn teens on to music they might not otherwise listen to. If Bo covers "Whipping Post" on an album and kids buy it. Maybe a few of them will chcek out the original Allman Brothers version and suddenly realize, "hey, that's a cool sounding guitarist! Maybe I'll check out some other 70's rock that features decent guitar playing!"

I agree with you, eventhough your avatar is a little disturbing! :yuk: Anyway, you people need to check out Jake E. Lee's brand new release, Retraced. Trust me, the music is still in the vein of Badlands. It's very raw and bluesy. In addition, if you want to check out some additional Jake or Ray Gillen information then log onto www.jakeelee.com and www.raygillen.com.

I find Bo to be a true treat to watch. And yes, to hear him sing, In a Dream, it just bring chills to me. I love how his voice has such control, and to do it without any background music takes brass ones!

i've never watched the show, but i'm an old badlands fan. i downloaded the video clip of this bo dude singing it. it was pretty damn good.

I had it TVo'd and just watched Bo's performance. Blew me away to hear Badlands mentioned & then to watch Bo do it sent a chill down my spine. Downright fucking great job. Just pulled out my Badlands Cd and tape again, after a long respite.

As much as I abhor American Idol, I have to give this guy props for covering a good song. When I first heard that there was this "rocker guy" climbing to the top of the show's heap, I figured he was singing a bunch of Creed tunes or something. It kind of makes me want to try out. I was always joking about doing it, anyway. At the very least, I could be on that episode when they show all the first round losers. I'd make sure I did a total balls-out performance of "Blood of the Kings" by Manowar, just to see the look on Simon Cowell's face!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
As much as I abhor American Idol, I have to give this guy props for covering a good song. When I first heard that there was this "rocker guy" climbing to the top of the show's heap, I figured he was singing a bunch of Creed tunes or something. It kind of makes me want to try out. I was always joking about doing it, anyway. At the very least, I could be on that episode when they show all the first round losers. I'd make sure I did a total balls-out performance of "Blood of the Kings" by Manowar, just to see the look on Simon Cowell's face!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

It wouldn't hurt Cowell to get a good ol' dose of Manowar!!! That's the shot in the arm the show needs! :headbang: