Guitar Idol Competition

but anyone playing that style should limit their songs to 3 minutes...it ought to be a law...zzzzzz.
Seriously, good call. That's why I usually only listen to guys that are in bands. 30 second guitar solos after the second chorus mean they don't start repeating the same boring shit, and I'd rather rock out to a good song with a good solo than an okay song with a decent solo.

Just an observation, but does anyone else think that alot of the "better" players here aren't actually playing live on the videos...it all seems pre recorded and they're simply not plugged in? Sure they've actually played the stuff...but an edited recording vs. live...quite a difference...doesn't seem right.

I think most of them are legit as far as I can tell (though some are questionable). One of the organizers of the whole thing weighed in on this on another forum...he says the way they see it is that they have to perform this stuff live for an audience and a panel of judges before they can win anyway, so they're only going to bring themselves down if they can't deliver when the time comes.

I think most of them are legit as far as I can tell (though some are questionable). One of the organizers of the whole thing weighed in on this on another forum...he says the way they see it is that they have to perform this stuff live for an audience and a panel of judges before they can win anyway, so they're only going to bring themselves down if they can't deliver when the time comes.

Yeah...I thought of that...they do have to perform. Most of them probably are legit...but I've seen a few really questionable ones.

Imo, the most interesting guitarist is Fernando Miyata. Technically amazing, but he's definitely got improv skills.

I can't find him...can you post a link?

There's a few vids of him on youtube, this one's my favorite. He shows a lot of what he can do, in a pretty cool improvisation although there's some unwanted wanking near the end... But this dude's playing is so fluid, it's totally insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, theyre some very nice songs on there, I have to be honest, I dont really like all of them, but my fave would have to be Waves and Fives.. Does he have any other albums or side projects?

You can hear him on a few Asia records and on at least one of the Young Punx records. There are some well-known bootlegs (available through Tone Merchants) of him and there is some well circulated material from The Fellowship (his jazz/fusion combo). He's also on the GPS cd "Window to the Soul"...and that same group has another record in the works. There are also different versions of his songs to be found on various compilations Cds that are out there.