GUITAR LESSONS: How Much Do You Charge?

Gnash

Lefty
Mar 29, 2006
Warrensburg, MO
www.threatsignal.com
I've been charging $10 for a half hour lesson for a couple of years. I live in a rural area with a limited population of around 20,000. I usually have 10 students a week. The lesson is "supposed" to be a half an hour, but I'll almost always wind up teaching for an hour. I've been thinking of raising my rates, since I'm giving extra time to the students, and my students are "used" to staying for an hour. It's a tough call though. I don't want to piss people off.

When I had a tutor he bumped the rates up after a while. He charged £12 for 40 minutes, which is like...errm $20 odd? Thats for 40 minutes, so im sure you can get away with raising your rates some.

Plus if they respect you (which they will) they wont mind as long as you keep up your lessons :)

totally depends on market and demand. I know guys charging $100/hr but that's w/ a serious rep.
Unless a lot has changed since I lived in STL, rural MO is pretty poor. Still, $10 for a 1/2 hour is very cheap.....especially if you are really working for an hour.

i've been thinking of giving lessons. i was going to market to "budding metal players." teach 'em the basics, and watch them flourish. i figured i'd charge like $35-$40/hour. no half hour sessions probably; like you said- before you know it, it's over and you go over anyway.

$20 for a half hour but I only get twelve and the store gets eight. But you should just let em know that you're gonna be getting more stiff about rates and if they're gonna stay for an hour they gotta pay for two lessons

I charged 25 euro per hour... was fun at first, but then the kids i was trying to learn something were just slacking and not listening to my advices anymore... also, when i give them homework i want them to do it dammit!! DAMMIT!!!

So i stopped.. :)

but don't be afraid to ask a decent amount for your time.. unless it's really something you like to do and don't want to charge much for it.

One of the best guitarists I've met does lessons for $45 for about 30-45 min. He's a pro though, so if I was going to give lessons (having played guitar for 10ish years, but still a college student) I'd probably charge $20-25 an hour.

when i give them homework i want them to do it dammit!! DAMMIT!!!

So i stopped.. :)

but don't be afraid to ask a decent amount for your time.. unless it's really something you like to do and don't want to charge much for it.

Yeah, with the younger kids, you almost have to pull a "Jack Black", to keep their attention. Just getting them past the "tuning" phase is a major accomplishment. After that it's "Black Sabbath" 101.:heh: My rate is going up to $20 for an hour, definately.

Both my guitarist and drummer charge £25 ($50) and hour for lessons, the drummer does it full time and makes about £375 ($750) a week from it (before tax) the guitarist makes about £250 ($500) a week part-time.

I've been thinking about getting a couple of students myself, considering how well it can pay around here.

I charge $10 per half hour only because I am just starting to give lessons. I think the problem is that people charge whatever they want and they are crappy teachers. I know of teachers in my area who are awful teachers who charge $30/half hour. To me that is a rip off...unless it is a very reputable person. Students at my school charge $20 per half hour and they aren't all that fantastic. Basically, I think price should reflect reputation, unfortunately I don't think it works that way.

I've been charging $10 for half an hour. I'm I'm just a teenager giving lessons to kids. Most of my teachers have charged about $20 for half an hour.

Make it an easy transition. Just say "Hey (insert name of student)! Since all of my students usually need lessons that take up about an hour, I will no longer be offering half-hour lessons for 10, but 60 min lessons for 20 bucks!".

Gives them no choice and is fair to everyone ...