Guitar lessons in person or online?

TRA

Just another nobody
Feb 17, 2009
After 14 or 15 years of playing guitar I want to take lessons. I haven't been regularly playing for about 8 of those years, and I'm pretty much a hack with a guitar.

Anyone have recommendations for lessons online or teachers in the Chicago area? Tom Hess and Dave Shankle are beyond my budget otherwise I'd go to them .

Tom Hess is full of shit to be honest. I've chatted with guys who were former students, the dude used to charge so much less and was a much better teacher before the shit got to his head from touring the world, so you're actually doing a good thing not getting lessons off that guy.

Tom Hess is full of shit to be honest. I've chatted with guys who were former students, the dude used to charge so much less and was a much better teacher before the shit got to his head from touring the world, so you're actually doing a good thing not getting lessons off that guy.

+1

I was a former student of Tom and I took lessons from him in 2005-06. I learned alot but I quit due to the lack of correspondense. He is more interested now in you signing up for this class and that class (mo money mo money) and to me has forgotton the 1 on 1 aspect he so dearly preached about with his students. The lack of personalization took me away but can you expect from correspondense lessons though.

I just responded to your email dude.

I cannot even tell you how many students I have that have quit taking lessons with Shankle. Not going into detail, but I would not recommend him to anyone.

Tom is a great dude, I just got back from touring with him.

If it doesn't work out for you to study with me, let me know if there is a way I can still help. I know other instructors around Chicago that I could recommend. (Though most will soon be working for me at my music academy I am opening soon)

I dont know if he's still teaching or if it's too far but Rick Young was a monster player that taught in Lockport @ Lockport music.

It seems like I saw where the guitarist from Megadeth has an online, iChat video style lessons.
They are in real time, if I remember correctly - but probably cost an arm and a leg.

well before you jump to finding someone to teach you what exactly do you want to learn? im playing guitar 9 years, i had lessons for 5 years - 4 hours a week) and 2 years in college with a world renowned jazz musician hugh buckley so you know if its the theory end and techniques on speed playing, rhythm, harmony an arrangements , reharmonization and ear training etc i could gather some stuff up for you to get learning

heres my teacher shredding it up! woo

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned from Ricky for three years! Great guy and yes he's still teaching.

Small world! I remember a long time ago when I stumbled into Lockport music and joined the waiting list to get lessons from him. Learned a butload from him that's for sure! His brother was badass on Bass too. I actually ended up teaching there for a little bit when I lived in Illinois.

I still have the Warmoth that he put together for me.

Small world! I remember a long time ago when I stumbled into Lockport music and joined the waiting list to get lessons from him. Learned a butload from him that's for sure! His brother was badass on Bass too. I actually ended up teaching there for a little bit when I lived in Illinois.

I still have the Warmoth that he put together for me.
My parents live in Lockport so yes, small world indeed.