Online guitar lessons?

ArtGarceau

Jan 24, 2007
Chicago
I stopped playing guitar completely a few years ago and just started to get back into playing. Long story short...guitar skills are not like riding a bike. I used to be what I considered a decent guitar player, and now I suck shit.

I want to start from scratch, and this time I want to take lessons. Are there any good online lessons out there? I want to start with some basic scales & warm ups, and develop a good practice regimen. Eventually, I want to be able to shred again. I pretty much lost 10 years of playing in a matter of two years and it's pitiful!

george lynch has a "dojo," and that dude from darkest hour has a bunch of instructional stuff.

i like books and CDs. sometimes I'll pop into wholenote.com, which has a TON of cool lessons and a handy little scale player thingy to actually hear the notes. sit down with a paganini lesson on that thing, and you'll be busy for weeks!

i find that there's really only so many useful scales - learn major/minor, the modes, the blues scale, pentatonics, and maybe a weird one here and there and you're set. it's hard to throw in the really weird ones into a song and make them fit. i prefer to just use passing notes to get more weirdness outta simple scales.

another good basic thing is to just get a tab book for maiden and learn some stuff that way.

wonder where the guitarists from Wrath are now - they were from illinois. so is trouble!

Thanks for all of your input. The other guitar player in my old band used to take lessons from Dave Shankle, and I took a few from him back in the day. He is a great guitar player, but between my 9 to 5, working at the studio, and mixing out of my house leaves little time to have face to face lessons.

I'll check out some of those links.