Guitar players, do you pick from the wrist or the elbow?

I pick from my wrist. I've heard it said that most people use a little motion in their arm when they pick very quickly so most people use their elbow but don't notice it. I don't think you can do damage unless you push yourself too hard, there are plenty of players who pick like that.

Oh, I agree completely. The only thing was, I'm self-taught and after so many years, I'm dissecting my technique and it blows. I'm trying to find a way to "make the switch," if you will. The only hard part is that the muscle memory has it all fucked. I know how people play from the wrist, I just can't do it. Say if I wanted to pick without any pivot from the elbow, natural muscle movement for me is twisting my wrist back and forth rather than rocking up and down.
If you've been picking like that for so long why go and fuck yourself up trying to change it?? If it works for you and you've been doing that for a while just do it. Changing shit mid way is not the way to do things.

If you've been picking like that for so long why go and fuck yourself up trying to change it?? If it works for you and you've been doing that for a while just do it. Changing shit mid way is not the way to do things.

I think he is more wanting to change as he feels he is losing speed by picking from the elbow.

sometimes wrist only, sometimes elbow, sometimes a combination of both...
depending on what I play.
usually on singlestring-stuff and powerchords I play with the wrist, but I use the ellbow in addition for sweeping, and 5-string-blackmetalish-chord-shred-stuff

Here's me tracking rhythmguits....primarily wrist:

and our other guitarist (similar technique)

I think that's probably the usual way of doing it....never thought too much about it, but that's how it comes naturally

Last edited by a moderator:
dude go with watever feels natural to you generaly when you do any activity repeatedly your brain figures out how to do it the most efficient way over time this applyies to all activitys wheather it be martial arts playing guitar whatever.(thats why you suck at most things when you try them first and progresively get better with time)

for me i use my wrist but dude dont lose any sleep over it just play whatever way you feel comfortable with over time you will develop the correct tecnique for yourself subconciously.

Well, personally I'd like to progress as a more efficient guitar player. Like others have said, I'll literally cramp up after long fast picking runs and after muscle tension begins to build, your speed and your ability to consistently hold that speed with waver begins to diminish. Don't gimme wrong, I'm not displeased with my technical ability, I just know I can do it better and cleaner and with less stress on my forearm!

Well, recently ive changed my picking style a bit. I used to have too much motion in my forearm and I knew it was hindering my playing so I started to work on it.....better start asap I said too myself! Thats after 7 odd years of playing. Im still working on it to this day, but ive gotten a lot more accurate since ive took notice of my picking.

If you just say "shit...I wish I could change the way I pick....but ive been playing too long to do it so ill have to bear with cramping up and playing sloppy here and there" is just insanely wrong! Might as well hang your guitar up now!

If your gonna work on your arm movement id just advise you start as early as you can, you may be suprised how quick you will adjust :) :loco:

okay, I know this is kinda hijacking, but Im going to ask anyway.
Do you guys set your fingers on the guitar when picking?
Pinky on volum knob or something? for support?
I've seen ALOT of guitarist do this. They say they can get smaller motions and skip strings more accurat. I dont use any fingers for support, should I?

I've seen ALOT of guitarist do this. They say they can get smaller motions and skip strings more accurat. I dont use any fingers for support, should I?

Only occasionally. I remember hearing it can be bad for your hand, so don't overdo it. But I know it can be usefull occasionaly.

I (unconsciously) sometimes anchor my pinky on the plastic pickup ring when playing on the higher strings. One of my WORST habits.

Sometimes the tip of my pinky may rest on the guitar body just below the strings and on rare occasion it may hook onto the high E when I'm not using it. Not necessarily a good thing, but it happens.

I (unconsciously) sometimes anchor my pinky on the plastic pickup ring when playing on the higher strings. One of my WORST habits.

on solo-stuff I do that all the time (ring-finger on pickguard though), that way you just have more control over on what string you're playing then by just hovering with the hand over the strings without any reference-point.
why a bad habit?

I have seen no indication that it's a bad idea, unless you have small hands and you can't reach the bottom string with your pinky anchored. It's helped me out a lot, without a doubt. Plus... John Petrucci and Steve Morse. Nyaah.

Jeff

Lasse, do you really have your near field monitors that far from you???

No, that's just in the surround-post-production-area of the studio. in the rooms I'm tracking and/or mixing in I use the usual triangle:

Here's where I do most of the editing and stuff (aka my bedroom. ;) )....you gotta turn your monitor ;)

gotta love those 20" apple widescreens! (and the fan of course.....)

Last edited by a moderator: