do you guys finger pick or pick the acoustic parts

ekka

Nov 11, 2005
After watching lamentations i found out that songs like 'hope leaves' is actually played with a pick while i've been playing it with my fingers forever.

So when do you guys decide to finger pick the part or play it with a pick -

what i've found out from the lamentations dvd
- windopane : the finger picked bridge in the middle before the second solo
- i'm sure still day beneath the sun is finger picked - as right after the intro - it seems everything has to be finger picked.

what about
* patterns in the ivy I & II?
* deliverance
etc...

Patterns in the Ivy I & II and Deliverance are all played with a pick, I believe. In the live performance of Deliverance, you can see Peter playing the arpeggios with a pick while Mikael is singing "Deliverance...thrown back at me." I'm assuming that's the part you're referring to. The Patterns in the Ivy songs, I'm presuming, are played with a pick because there aren't any parts in those songs that suggest that they are finger picked. Not too sure about those ones though.

personally i prefer the sound of finger picking when doing clean parts. I'm getting better and better at it, and the sound it produces is magnifico.

I personally rarely ever play acoustic with a pik, its gotten to a point where im actually better with my fingers than i am with a pick.

There are parts in the patterns in the ivy songs where you have to fingerpick iirc.

I also think somtimes live they use a pick on finger parts to make the transitions between parts a little easier (imagine having to put your pick in your gob and back out every 5 minutes at a gig)

I have a tough time using a pick for most acoustic stuff. Finger picking came pretty naturally to me and I use it almost exclusively, although I think most songs sound better with a pick. It's just so much harder to be precise with a pick...takes much more practice.

it depends on which song... for instance i use a pick for the acoustic parts on Drapery Falls(yeah it has more chords). However, i use my fingers for patterns in the ivy I&II Still day beneath the sun etc... i just think that for the songs that are acoustic you should use your fingers it's just a better feeling and it's easier. Like you cannot use a pick on Benighted... just my opinion

I like the bright sound of thin plectrums, but the warmth of fingerpicking can be great too. I use picks more often, but songs like Benighted and Patterns in the Ivy I & II really should be fingerpicked. I'm not the best fingerpicker but I can play songs like that.

All songs that require you to have play with a pick, I use the pick for the whole of those songs. But if I play like, Benighted, then I'll use my fingers :p

So for like Deliverance or The Leper Affinity (the arpeggios in the middle) I use pick.

For the likes of Face of Melinda and Benighted, fingers.

Reagrds,
David Lingdell.