Other artists with pieces like Benighted?

Immortaldemon

...claiming my flesh
Nov 3, 2002
Swindon, UK
Visit site
Does anyone know of other artists with pieces that sound like Benighted, Still Day Beneath The Sun or Patterns In The Ivy Part II?

I mean solo, picked acoustic guitar stuff, although preferably instrumental.

Thanks in advance.

there's an artist with a piece exactly like benighted, camel, (lolz!)
rofl!

Thats a pretty small niche. Not sure if you will like these but heres a few suggestions I can think of...

Elliott Smith (solo acoustic stuff, not-instrumental), start with Either/Or or XO
Minus the Bear - Acoustics (acoustic versions of their best songs)
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over The Sea (indie classic, centered mostly around the singer/songwriter, a lot of acoustics)
Love you Moon - Waxwane (Matt Embree from RX Bandits solo acoustic stuff, a lot of emotion, all acoustic)
The Microphones - The Glow Pt.2 (another really popular indie record)

Come to think of it, I don't know any solo acoustic stuff without vocals, so if anyone knows anything like that I would like to hear it too.

Well there's plenty of solo acoustic stuff without vocals, but nothing like the ones he mentioned. Usually when people don't use vocals, they have to compensate with some extra tricky stuff so it wouldn't be anywhere near as basic as Opeth.

the closest to benighted I can think of is José Gonzales.

edit: Foo Fighters - Ballad of the beaconsfield miners, and the entire Skin And Bones+CD2 of In Your Honor, also Daves ep from 94. they are not really similiar to the Opeth stuff, but I felt like typing something related to my avatar.

edit2: "Ballad of the beaconsfield miners" is fun to play. "Over and out" too.

V

Some extra tricky stuff is ok.

I'm really looking for stuff I can play on guitar.

I'm awful at playing and singing at the same time, but I still love playing those songs and I don't get bored of hearing them either.

Basically I'm looking for more stuff to play, which I also really enjoy listening to.

Well idk about playing it but Elliot Smith, Jose Gonzales, Nick Drake, etc. etc. for singing/goodguitar, and Tommy Emmanuel, Michael Hedges, Don Ross, Andy McKee etc etc. for guitar. Michael Hedges = Hendrix of acoustic, eod. kthx

I find the song "The burden is mine...alone" by Green Carnation a pretty tasty and emotional acoustic song, it has vocals though. I always loved to play "Diary of a madman" by Ozzy Osbourne - you could just play it instrumental without destroying your vocals trying to hit that high range.

lol learn classical gas. So when people say 'Now play classical gas' you can.

Ok, I've listened to most of the stuff mentioned, including Nick Drake, Elliott Smith etc. none of it really inspires me to play. Although you're right The Baying Of The Leper, "The burden is mine...alone" is very good and I'll have go at that one, and Classical Gas as well, so thanks for that.

And stuff by people like Michael Hedges is waaaay out of my league, but thanks anyway.

Michael Hedges has some easy songs actually. Ritual Dance is pretty easy and I can play Eleven Small Roaches and a couple of the slower songs about as well as I can play Benighted or Face of Melinda.

I suggest you get a capo and try Elliott Smith's Angeles. If it isn't what you're yearning, you can enjoy yearning for something different :D

So glad to meet you, Angeles...

Simon and Garfunkel are also inspiring. Sounds of Silence, Bleeker Street, April Come She Will, Kathy's Song and Scarborough Fair are delicately beautiful.