Mikael! lets talk Nick Drake!

Poison Godmachine

Atheistic Existentialist
Feb 3, 2002
Berklee College of Music
Visit site
I read in a guitar mag that you were a fan of Nick Drake. I have Five Leaves Left and my personal favorites from the CD are the more melancholy songs: River man, 3 hours, day is done, 'cello song, and fruit tree. I have been noticing more and more the Nick Drake influence in Opeth. For example there is a part in the vocal line of benighted that sounds similar to a part in 3 hours (though I like the vocal line in Benighted better as it is less repeditive) and the chorus guitar part in Still Day Beneath The Sun sounds like the main part in fruit tree. Also I have found most of Nick Drakes songs require a capo to play and your 2 newest songs (Still Day and PatternsII) are both played with a capo. I was wondering If you could recommend any other artists we should listen to if we enjoy Nick Drake. Or maybe just tell us what you personaly like about Nick's music. Thanks

Day Is Done is about the best song ever!!
Bryter Layter is a good album, although I find it too "produced" for Drake, but you can hear a lot of similarities on vocal-lines with Opeth! Pink Moon is my fave, very simple album, very good songs etc. Damn, that the man had to die, if the next full lenght album would continued where PM left, it would've been amazing and very sad album, so just what I like! I think the 2 BWP-bonus songs are VERY ND-oriented and I would love to see Mike to make an solo album full of that kind of stuff...Or maybe with Slo Train Co...don't really know what kind of stuff that is (STC), but I quess Mike & Jonas would end up recording something like that...