Nick Drake: Five leaves left

Benighted Joe

Opethian
Oct 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
www.myspace.com
I'd never accuse Opeth for stealing or copycat other musicians
work, but I've found a big similarity though:

Listen to Nick Drake's "Day is done" song from the "Five leaves left" album.
Then listen to Opeth's "Patterns in the ivy II".

Not only is the lyric "Day is done" on Opeth's song, but also, the verse
melody on "Patterns in the ivy II" will remind you of Nick Drake's song!

I understand why Mike love this album. I do too - and even more now! :D

i can site about 20 or so jacked song titles/lyrics/album titles/guitar licks that Opeth have taken from their influences. i just found it funny that you started your thread off with discounting all of that. with a name like "benighted" no less.

but anyway, yes...still day and patterns pt. 2 are fairly nick drake in style. which is perfectly fine by me.

first time i heard this album a month or two ago, i listened to it 4 straight times.

love the tone and atmosphere. that being said, you have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it.

It is sort of a bummer when you find similarities on that level (my enjoyment of Benighted, Master's Apprentices, Patterns in the Ivy II, etc certainly went down a bit)...but eh, whatever. I've come to a point where I really don't care. I like Opeth, I like Nick Drake...the end.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i can site about 20 or so jacked song titles/lyrics/album titles/guitar licks that Opeth have taken from their influences. i just found it funny that you started your thread off with discounting all of that. with a name like "benighted" no less.

but anyway, yes...still day and patterns pt. 2 are fairly nick drake in style. which is perfectly fine by me.

What the hell has my name got to do with anything?

Some of you guys really are out of you minds.

Yeah Opeth borrow some licks and stuff, but they always make it
their thing. It's very common for bands to tribute their influences by
using lyrics in their own songs.

Did you know for example that Harlequin Forest verse melody is borrowed
from a old swedish schlager singer (A girl non the less :).
But it doesn't matter because it's not exactly the same and it's much better
in Opeth song.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Well, the thread title implied a thread about the album itself, so I'll just say:

Stone cold classic.

Otherwise... I don't really care if 'Peth ripped off other bands... I still enjoy their music.

Yeah this thread was ment to encourage people to listen to Nick Drake. But I guess that message
got away. However this wasn't a thread completely about Mr. Drake, though, since I found a
similarity with Opeth.

I still think Patterns in the ivy II is better than Nicks song "Day is done". Opeth ain't very shy
with what they borrow from others, but they sure can make it great.

NineFeetUnderground said:
mother of god.

edit: why is it always the truly daft and ignorant people that always go out on a limb to make bold and obviously very presumptuous statements?
Because in modern (read idiotic) society; the vast majority gets their information, worldview, and thinking done for them by others without question or recourse. They do not read or actively focus beyond their immediate location. Ignorance is a choice for such people. They love 'facts'. They do not comprehend the reality of fact as someone else's opinion, and so substitute such one-liners as their own thoughts, because they have none.

Doesn't matter if Opeth rips off other bands, they usually take a riff from a song and make it more kick ass.

Now if they ripped off a band and changed if from a good riff into a shit riff, then I'd start complaining.