Any Nick Drake fanatics out there?

Serenity Painted Death

New Metal Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
I wanted to discuss Nick's tunings with some people, because by using my Korg tuner i learned that the entire pink moon album is tuned to 450HZ. This is weird? I'm not sure about the tuning of the other albums, but to be at 450 rather than 440 is quite odd? Was it a recording mistake, as did happen with miles davis' "kind of blue" album.... this album was recorded too slow on one side and it has recently been corrected, or did nick mean to do it that way? He would have had to have the piano tuned that way as well! I know Mikael is a nick drake fan, so other opeth fans must have listened to the genius of nick. People with perfect pitch might just puke when hearing this album @ 450 Hz.....though i find it to be the most important solo album of all time.

Serenity Painted Death said:
I wanted to discuss Nick's tunings with some people, because by using my Korg tuner i learned that the entire pink moon album is tuned to 450HZ. This is weird? I'm not sure about the tuning of the other albums, but to be at 450 rather than 440 is quite odd? Was it a recording mistake, as did happen with miles davis' "kind of blue" album.... this album was recorded too slow on one side and it has recently been corrected, or did nick mean to do it that way? He would have had to have the piano tuned that way as well! I know Mikael is a nick drake fan, so other opeth fans must have listened to the genius of nick. People with perfect pitch might just puke when hearing this album @ 450 Hz.....though i find it to be the most important solo album of all time.

I only have Pink Moon and i think its a brilliant, if brief, masterpiece. but what do you mena tuning to 450HZ? isn't that standard tuning? (Meaning tuned to E)...if standard tuning is 440hz then its possible Nick simply had a capo on the first fret for the album, capos are very common to singer-songwriters like Drake, Taylor, Cohen, etc, etc.

saturnix said:
*waits for theledtool*

He definitely used a whole bunch of tunings for his guitar. I was always impressed how he played all those odd tunings without really any difference in the sound quality (as in some strings HAD to be harder and lighter to play than others because of them, and you can't tell), especially because he finger picked...

I would have no idea how this relates to the frequency or pitch of the music, but I'd figure I'd mention it. :loco:

From nickdrake.net:

Tunings

by
Chris Healey

Lowest string first. Suggested tuning includes equivalents (i.e. cgcfce includes eg dadgdf#).

For complete tablatures, please visit The Nick Drake Files.
[font=verdana,arial,sans serif]

Standard: [/font][font=verdana,arial,sans serif]

Time Has Told Me
River Man
Day Is Done
Poor Boy
Things Behind The Sun
Joey
Mayfair
Strange Meeting II
[/font][font=verdana,arial,sans serif]
BEBEBE:
Man In A Shed
At The Chime Of A City Clock
Fly
Northern Sky
Sunday
Harvest Breed
From The Morning
Time Of No Reply
CGCFCE:
Introduction
Hazey Jane I
Hazey Jane II
Pink Moon
Which Will
Parasite
Hanging On A Star
BBDGBE:
Three Hours
Fruit Tree
EADF#BE:
Cello Song
Thoughts Of Mary Jane
EADEBE:
Road
Voice From The Mountain
GGDGBD:
Rider On The Wheel
Black Eyed Dog
DADGBD:
Bryter Layter
DADF#AD:
One Of These Things First
EADGAE:
Clothes Of Sand
AADEBE:
Free Ride
CGCFGE:
Place To Be
[/font]

thanks gentlemen, i realize he does alternate tunings and i'm workin on playing most of the pink moon album, and that is how i noticed the 450Hz rather than 440Hz. Alternate tunings or not, 440Hz is always the standard. So why is this album at 450? Again, even the piano would have to be tuned to this pitch. Since there seems to be no nick drake chat site...i still hope to get some answers, seeing that some opeth fans love nick as i do.

i noticed another song on the album is tuned to about 442Hz so he must have just tuned to himself sometimes...but since the first track has piano in it, then the piano must have been tuned to 450 as well unless there was some recording error.
still no answer to this question....maybe i can ask him when i die