Guitar Pro Alternative with Rewire Support

dboy1612

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2014
A lot of musicians that I work with are very custom to using Guitar Pro for getting all their music down initially before going in and recording. I use Midi as a big part of my current setup it would be great to have something like Guitar Pro loaded up in Rewire to send midi to my DAW for fast editing and playback.

I gave Notion 5 a shot, but it doesn't support Drum tracks from GP and it was a bit of a mess to write tabs with in the first place. Would anyone have something that could come close without sucking with the "import/export" methods? Thanks!

Not sure if it helps because you can't edit the midi notes within your daw and have the change directly in gp with this. But you could use a virtual midi cable to send the midi data from gp to your daw for playback and apply vsti's to it or something. There will be no sync between your daw and gp so you would have to do some workarounds to get them both in time.

I've always wondered why Guitar Pro 6 didn't include ReWire or VST support, instead of replacing the perfectly functional default midi sounds with much bulkier -and still not realistic at all- samples, and cluttering the program with a lot of non-essential features, just to have something 'new' to sell, it would seem.

I got into Notion recently and I must say it's fantastic for things like transcribing classical scores, but it clearly isn't made for replacing GP.

not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I export midi from GP, then load it into my DAW and have "edirol virtual sound canvas" VST on each track, the midi tells it which instrument it is, so it goes to the right midi instrument and it sounds exactly the same as GP5, but I can edit the midi in my DAW.

All are great suggestions, just not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm suspecting it just doesn't exist yet. Has anyone given Finale 2014 a shot before?