Guitar Pro - The Advantages?

RUJoking

Feb 20, 2010
Hey Everybody,

I tried to search for more info on Guitar Pro, and I found people talking about it passively, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Right now, I write my guitar parts in my DAW's standard MIDI editor. I don't even necessarily use a guitar-based VSTi; any low-CPU/low-RAM VSTi will do. When the song is completely written, I play/record my guitar while reading the MIDI editor in the same way another musician might read sheet music or tablature.

My question is: what are the advantages to getting and using Guitar Pro to write my guitar parts?

From what I read on this forum, some of you write in GP and export MIDI, which you use in your DAW, so there must be an advantage.

Thanks for any advice.

I use TabIt personally, but I COULD use either TabIt or Guitar Pro because of the core benefit: The song/album is written before the song is recorded. No recording parts a hundred times before settling on a riff, no being limited to what you can play/improvise. If you ask me, TabIt and Guitar Pro and programs like them are essential.

The whole TAB editing works really well and fast in GP.
I also use a DAW to edit midi files, for my orchestral compositions, but if GP didn't have 16 midi instrument restrictions, I'd write everything in there.
Basically it just goes much faster imo.

I finally bought Guitar Pro 6 earlier this year after just writing out shit for years on printed tab sheets, I find myself more creative using it once I got a grip on using it for more than just jotting tabs down. It's pretty good for getting drum tracks fleshed out quickly as well - export the MIDI and import it into your DAW. It's pretty intuitive and quick to learn too.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Aeturnus, I hear ya, but I have that exact same advantage just using my DAW's MIDI editor: the song is written before it's recorded.

Calippo, is the advantage the fact that you prefer to write in tab, as opposed to MIDI? If you wrote all your compositions in GP, would you use a tab interface in GP for that?

Thanks Jind,

Well, I guess it's worth the investment of time to learn it. I'm all about simplicity, so using one tool instead of two is always the better way to go unless the 2nd tool has a major advantage. But from what people here are saying, I guess the quick workflow of GP is worth adding the 2nd tool and investing the time to learn it.

Thanks for the help, everybody.