Guitar Purists Everywhere...check it out....

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick, and Chris Poland going on a tour together:

Sep. 06 - Tempe, AZ @ Marquee Theatre
Sep. 08 - San Diego, CA @ Canes
Sep. 09 - Santa Ana, CA @ Galaxy Theatre
Sep. 10 - West Hollywood, CA @ The Troubadour
Sep. 11 - San Francisco, CA @ Slim's
Sep. 12 - Orangevale, CA @ The Boardwalk

All west coast, but cool nonetheless, especially for our NAD no doubt! All three are very respectable musicians in my opinion. I STILL want to get my hands on Poland's Megalopolis.

By the way, did anyone see the comments from Skolnick on the new Metallica album?

Asked by a fan on his official message board at www.alexskolnick.com if he's heard METALLICA's newest effort, Skolnick writes, "I must point out that when . . . I [and the rest of my band, THE ALEX SKOLNICK TRIO] heard ['St. Anger'] on the radio [in early June], we were all in disbelief. It sounds like the whole thing was pasted together using Pro Tools and the band didn't even play together in the studio. The once-powerful guitar and drum sounds have been replaced with nu-metal-like samples and thin tones. There is no unity or cohesiveness to the songs. Some of them are downright funny, as if 'Saturday Night Live' was doing a skit making fun of them.

"If [METALLICA] really wanted to recapture their old energy, they should have gone back to the garage and got in touch with who they once were," he continued. "This album represents what they are now: a sloppy mess (albeit one with a lot of wealth and power). Lars Ulrich once said that BON JOVI's music represents everything wrong with the music business. The same can now be said of METALLICA. I don't mean to be so negative here, but as a one time fan of the band, and even knowing them a little from the Bay Area scene at one time, it's sad to see the that all the integrity which they prided themselves on is gone."

Meanwhile, Metal Observer just published a very 'angry' review of St Anger, giving it a 10/10 perfect score rating....one wonders whether people will start to glorify it in a knee-jerk reaction to all the backlash - you know, just to stand out and be noticed...?

JayKeeley said:
Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick, and Chris Poland going on a tour together:

Sep. 09 - Santa Ana, CA @ Galaxy Theatre

Nice! That is just around the corner from my home (well about 20 min on the fwy) I should be there for that one! :)

JayKeeley said:
I STILL want to get my hands on Poland's Megalopolis.

I have the original Return to Metropolis from Chris and had a chance to see him open up during the Dream Theater tour (Images and Words).

Sounds like a killer tour! Would be cool to see all 3 on stage too!

Cool, I'm there. I'll let Poor Tom know about it... damn yous Roman, you only have 1 post so far!!! :D

warmwetos said:
I have the original Return to Metropolis from Chris and had a chance to see him open up during the Dream Theater tour (Images and Words).

That's excellent! How is that album by the way? Is it reminiscent of his 'Deth days at all?

@NAD - perhaps this could be a cool live report?!

JayKeeley said:
That's excellent! How is that album by the way? Is it reminiscent of his 'Deth days at all?

@NAD - perhaps this could be a cool live report?!

Actually I should say it's called Return to Metalopolis! :) It's on Enigma records and has a bonus track that wasn't on the audio tape.

I did hear various traces of Megadeth on the album but some nice stuff like the song Alexandria (killer tune) and The Fall of Babylon (a nice acoustic intro/flavor to it) a little reminiscent of Satriani (and on the song Row of Crows the song sounds like something Eric Johnson would do) but harder edge if that makes sense.

Keep in mind this is all instrumental here but some riffs could pass for a Megadeath melody. I believe it was Chris guitars/bass and his brother Mark on drums (didnt care much for the drum parts) on that album.

It's pretty good stuff. Chris just has this cool clean style of playing which I like, not overly saturated, a smooth jazz flavor at times with not much distortion and other noise fx crap. :)

What sucks is I don't have Damned the Machine...anyone got a copy they want to sell? :)

More than likely the Santa Ana show, it's closest to me. I'll do a live report if I go, but I'm only going to go if Roman does, that shouldn't take much convincing. :) I'll let you know warmwetos, we'll have to grab a beer if I show up!

Whoa 9 - 11 in SF, I think trhat would be a great day to pay homage to the departed, listening to some killer shredders. :headbang:

Bear

NAD said:
More than likely the Santa Ana show, it's closest to me. I'll do a live report if I go, but I'm only going to go if Roman does, that shouldn't take much convincing. :) I'll let you know warmwetos, we'll have to grab a beer if I show up!

Not sure who Roman is but yeah it would be cool to hook up with you. I live in Aliso Viejo so it's not too far for me either. FYI, I got an extra ticket for this Sunday's LA's Gates of Metal Festival that I can't use it's free if you or anyone you know wants it. I am going to be checking out Prymary as they sent me the comp ticket and might as well see some of the other bands there while I am at it.

It's for Sunday, July 6th and the show is in Whittier, my guess about an hour or so drive. If interested reply here or email me at:

warmwetos@cox.net

As for the beer, I am down for that or two! :)

Thanks for the ticket offer, but I probably won't find any takers and I won't be able to go myself. I'll keep ya posted about this show though! Oh yeah, Roman is my guitar buddy who loooooves shredders.