Guitar Question

C

catakliss

I have been playing ( not much ) guitar for 2 years. I own a crappy BcRich Warlock. I have been playing in : D = DGCFAD = one step down for about 2-3 months so that way i could play some Death, Cob, and ... I have been practicing "On the Shore of Ithaka" for about 2 weeks now, and now i would like to play Silence Calls the Storm BUT i heard this song is in Standard tuning! But i CANT tune to standard cause my strings are to big! So i'd like to buy strings that would allow me to play in standard tuning, and in DGCFAD tuning. Any suggestion? One of my friend told me to buy a ERNIE BALL package : 11-15-22p-30-42-54, and my other friend told me to go with the Dunlop package : 10-13-17-36-52-60! Are both good? I don't know :S Help!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Je joue de la guitar depuis 2 ans ( je joue pas vraiment mais bon ). J'ai une crappy BcRich Warlock. Je joue en D = DGCFAD = one step down, comme ca je peut jouer du death, du cob, pi On the Shore of Ithaka. Mais jaimerais jouer SIlence Calls The Storm mais je crois que c'est en standard! Mais sur ma guitar j'ai des corde trop grosse pour jouer en Standard. DOnc je voudrais savoir quel "package" de corde me permetterais de jouer en standard et de downtuner a D = DGCFAD = one step down. Un ami ma conseiller :ERNIE BALL package : 11-15-22p-30-42-54, et un autre ami ma conseiller : Dunlop package : 10-13-17-36-52-60! Est-ce une bonne idee? Aider moi :S Merci!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ps : Defiant Imagination is the Best(est) Album i have listened to !

Well if your string actually are too big to tune to pitch, or at least be comfortable enough to play in standard, then I'd change to a lighter gauge of strings. Try one step lower in gauge as what you take, should be enough and maintain nearly the same string tension. I personally use 10-46s for standard.

Also remember that string size will have a huge effect on your sound, the bigger the gauge, the richer/fuller your tone. Don't over do it though, keep it comfortable.

i use thin thicks - 10-52's and they seem to work ok for standard / one step down, but not much more. the 11-54's should be ok. 10-60 is a little too thick on the lower strings IMO, thats mostly for Drop C and B.

10-52s would be good, that's what I've been using for the past 4-5 years but I'm thinking of going back to 9-46 or even 9-42 since those are more expressive for standard tuning.
-b

Thx for the answers guys:D I'm using 11-54, not so bad for now, even if i have to tune every 2-3 days but that's probably because i'm not using the "Good" way to install my guitar strings! Btw? Is there a good way? I mean, i just stick the sting in the hole and then tune...

Thx for the answers guys:D I'm using 11-54, not so bad for now, even if i have to tune every 2-3 days but that's probably because i'm not using the "Good" way to install my guitar strings! Btw? Is there a good way? I mean, i just stick the sting in the hole and then tune...

Do you stretch the strings when you install?
-b