Guitar Setup Cost?

Merloch

Dec 9, 2003
I have a couple questions in regards to guitar maintenance/set up..... On average, how much does it cost to take your guitar in to a professional and have them adjust the action/truss rod/intonation and just get it in better working order?

I have an NJ warlock that I have had for years and never done it on.... is it too late to get it back in decent shape? Something about it just feels off, I'm not sure what it is. THe only reason I care so much is that I have EMG 81/85 in it and I'm wondering if I need to just take them out and put them into another guitar or stick with this one?

Pickup replacement should run you around 40-50. A setup etc will cost you around 20 or so. Not including parts.

Wow, either you guys are getting special deals or your repair guys are really seeling themselves short! :O

It all depends on what the technician charges. Usual rates for basic setups around here range from $40-75 depending on type of guitar and bridge style (be prepared for upcharges if you have a Floyd Rose-style tremolo). Pickup replacement shouldn't be an issue unless you really just want to swap pickups - aside from maybe adjusting pickup height, they have no play in a basic setup whatsoever. :)