I'm In Deep Brown! Truss Rod Nut Snapped.

MaverickStang

Sep 18, 2014
Houston, Texas
Adjusting my Dad's acoustic, since it was loose and the string action was high. I tightened a bit, let the guitar neck adjust over time.

Eventually over time got the strings closer to the fret board enough to hold a pick at the 12th fret.

However, at the 13 fret, the strings were too high.

I didn't make any adjustments to the truss rod, since I stopped once I noticed the truss rod was getting tight from days before. Wanted to look at the bridge and I didn't know how to take out the bridge at first, since it was a bit different from the usual acoustic bridge; doesn't matter. So decided to look at the bridge, once I figured it out by gripping the edge of it, took out the bridge, and there was a spacer of thin plastic. So I was like ok take that spacer out, lower the action, and said "Woo hoo, that's the problem. Problem solved".

So then I decided to give some relief for new set of strings eventually, that's when the truss rod nut snapped. I swear I was turning left to give relief!

Honestly, I'm devastated that the trust rod nut snapped off; I believe it was brittle because of age. Some cheap alloy truss rod?

StewMac sells a truss rod rescue tool, which is $215.69. I really despise StewMac, because their pricing for just a tool is ultra ridiculous! Everything from them is expensive! Heck the cost of labor of craftsmanship of a guitar for just a simple tool! How is StewMac even in business?

What should I do now? And yes I told him about it and I borrowed the acoustic anyways to fix it. The guitar didn't crack at all.

CLEAN CUT SNAPPED OFF (BRITTLE)
0817181404.jpg

AS YOU CAN SEE, IT WAS IN FACT BRITTLE
0817181404a.jpg