Guitar Setup for Idiots like me.

Chryst Krispies

Vanilla Gorilla
Jul 27, 2005
Boston
www.twitter.com
I have a Ibanez s1625fbnt that needs a fucking vasectomy, because it's currently playing like shit.

I don't have any real funds to get it setup properly and I'd like to know how the fuck to do it.

Even a halfassed setup I just want the hing to play cause I like this guitar but I hate how it plays, and I know it can play really well when it's fuckin prepped for action.

PLZ???

Well, what's wrong with the current setup? Did it play well at one point?

The first question is what sort of shape are the frets in? If your playability issues are stemming from fret wear, no amount of set up work is going to fix it - you'll need to do a fret job. But if it's just a matter of poor action or the wrong neck relief than you're in business.

What's the problem?

Hahahahaha, the vasectomy line gave me a mega :lol:

But I'm guessing the main issue is action, which is really only controlled by two things, the truss rod for below the 8th fret or so, and the bridge height for above. The way to set the truss rod height is to use your right index finger and fret the low string on the fret over the neck joint, then with your left hand fret the first fret on the same string. This creates a straight string you can use to guage the neck relief, so now look at the space between the 6-8th fretwires and the string (there should be 1-2 mm of space generally, if it screws with your eyes stretch your pinky on your left hand out to press down the string there to better get an idea of the gap, if any). If the gap is too big, tighten the rod, if there's no gap, loosen it (and use 1/4 turns at a time, it's a sensitive bastard)

As for the bridge height, that's way easier, lower it until it buzzes, then raise it ever so slightly - done! Though if it's buzzing below the 8th fret, then that means the truss needs to be loosened...

Hahahahaha, the vasectomy line gave me a mega :lol:

But I'm guessing the main issue is action, which is really only controlled by two things, the truss rod for below the 8th fret or so, and the bridge height for above. The way to set the truss rod height is to use your right index finger and fret the low string on the fret over the neck joint, then with your left hand fret the first fret on the same string. This creates a straight string you can use to guage the neck relief, so now look at the space between the 6-8th fretwires and the string (there should be 1-2 mm of space generally, if it screws with your eyes stretch your pinky on your left hand out to press down the string there to better get an idea of the gap, if any). If the gap is too big, tighten the rod, if there's no gap, loosen it (and use 1/4 turns at a time, it's a sensitive bastard)

As for the bridge height, that's way easier, lower it until it buzzes, then raise it ever so slightly - done! Though if it's buzzing below the 8th fret, then that means the truss needs to be loosened...

1-2 mm would be an insane amount of neck relief.

You should shoot for somewhere between .005" to .020" or in other words a half a millimeter tops. It depends on your playing style and string gauge as to where in that range to shoot for.

(1-2 mm is more like what you would want for string action at the 12th fret.)

Really? I suck at the metric system, but I always thought of a mm as like a hair's thickness, so anything smaller wouldn't even be perceptible (and any smaller relief and I get buzz, though maybe something else is amiss)

Well, what's wrong with the current setup? Did it play well at one point?

The first question is what sort of shape are the frets in? If your playability issues are stemming from fret wear, no amount of set up work is going to fix it - you'll need to do a fret job. But if it's just a matter of poor action or the wrong neck relief than you're in business.

What's the problem?

Ahh I forgot you were a fucking guitar assassin haha.

The problem I BELIEVE might be a fret job issue in which case you are correct and I'm slightly fucked.

My older brother just fucked with it and I got it playing halfway decent once again; except a few choice frets (mostly around the 14-19th there's some sporadic) that I like to use that are fuckin bootleg, which leads me to believe it's a fret issue.. as it dies when I bend it up.

As for saddlebags- I have a ZR trem which is Ibanez's weird ass Dr Stein of a bridge in that there's no way to raise individual strings/saddles. So I don't know how

Thanks for the tips.

My rule of thumb is a playing card's thickness for neck relief, and a quarter's thickness for the 12th fret string height.
I prefer to use a feeler gauge, but you get the idea. Really measure the individual string heights if your bridge saddles are individually adjustable, don't eyeball it because the strings will play tricks with your eyes.

If you're buzzing too much at this point and it's not comfortable to raise the bridge any more, you might want a little more neck relief.

Really? I suck at the metric system, but I always thought of a mm as like a hair's thickness, so anything smaller wouldn't even be perceptible (and any smaller relief and I get buzz, though maybe something else is amiss)

A millimeter is equal to .040", or noticably more than 1/32".

A fairly standard string height is about .065" which is around 1.5mm.

Ahh I forgot you were a fucking guitar assassin haha.

The problem I BELIEVE might be a fret job issue in which case you are correct and I'm slightly fucked.

My older brother just fucked with it and I got it playing halfway decent once again; except a few choice frets (mostly around the 14-19th there's some sporadic) that I like to use that are fuckin bootleg, which leads me to believe it's a fret issue.. as it dies when I bend it up.

As for saddlebags- I have a ZR trem which is Ibanez's weird ass Dr Stein of a bridge in that there's no way to raise individual strings/saddles. So I don't know how

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, if bends are fretting out and you can't stand the action any higher - you've surely got fret issues.