Guitar Solo Battle

enjoi17

I may deserve this
Aug 21, 2005
Ann Arbor
For a senior project at school I decided to put together a guitar solo battle type competition. I just found a local place that will sponsor the event and contemplating on how to run the competition.

Right now I figured to have Round One be just a 5 minute solo unaccompanied, and then Round two you choose a chord progression from a hat and then must solo over top it with an accompanyment. That's really all I have so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this kind of thing? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! :D

For a real battle, you must do a duel between two people (this could be an idea for the last rounds)

One guitar player plays a crazy lick and then 2nd guitar player plays the same, but with an added improvement lets say.

Something along the lines of the movie "Crossroads" With Steve Vai and Ralph Macchio (played by Ry Cooder)

get it?

eugene1.jpg

Right so like how many people (if any) should be eliminated for each round?

lol @ Steve Vai for throwing his guitar down in disgust.

Slow Tempo Drumming
Faster tempo Drumming
Chrode Progression thingy pulled out of a hat, at a quick tempo
Battle
Play a Cover/Original song including solo

some random thoughts

CliffBurton said:
Slow Tempo Drumming
Faster tempo Drumming
Chrode Progression thingy pulled out of a hat, at a quick tempo
Battle
Play a Cover/Original song including solo

some random thoughts

Good Ideas Thanks!

But I;m beginning to rethink the chord progression section, do you think just a drumming accompanyment would be sufficient? And how long should the solo time limit be? I'm thinking around 10 minutes, is that too long or too short?