drum programming

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
Ssup everyone. As of lately I'm trying to program some drums to make my own backing track to jam over. however, i have no idea how a good drum pattern to solo above would sound like (like what to hit and when, kick, snare, high hat, toms, crash, ride, shit like that).
So what drum pattern would work for the following:
one chord, slow (60-80bpm) one chord minor vamps
one chord, slow (60-80) major vamps
a minor progression with a chord hanging for 1 or 2 measures at 60-80bpm
a major progression with a chord hanging for 1 or 2 measures at 60-80bpm
all above would be on the clean channel or on the acoustic guitar and i would use a clean tone to jam above them (not sure if that makes a different)

a one powerchord vamp with distorsion and with a very metalish chug (90-130)
a powerchord progression in a minor key with a a root pedal tone (very metal sounding) (140-160bpm)

help would be greatly appreciated as google didn't prove to helfpful
thanks

hydrogen, in linux. it is free and awesome. easy to use has a variety of drum kits that sound good, i just have no idea how to program them in terms of what kind of drumming would you use for that and that. It is a very versatile program. Works with jack sound server or alsa or oss.
i have to use it with oss, due to the gayness of intel high def audio that is the onboard sound card of my computer. I will be getting an maudio delta "soon"
any ideas on drums?

The easiest way to do it is just program what you hear in you head. There is no 1 right way to do anything.

As a general rule of thumb...

Highhats play quater notes (one note per beat ex 1 - 2 - 3 - 4) or eighth notes (2 notes per beat ex. 1and - 2and - 3and - 4and).

The snare commonly fassl on the 2 and 4 of each beat.

A quater note feel ( or straight feel / straight time feel) would be

X represents the hits.

Hats 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Sn 1 - Hit - 3 - Hit
Kick Hit - 2 - Hit Hit - 4

Thats pretty much what the standard Kick Snare Kick Kick Snare thing would be like. Its not easy to do here on the forum obviously.

pointers:

Double bass is usually eighth notes
Hats 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Sn 1 - Hit 3 - Hit
Kick Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit

Hard to do here obviously but i hope this gives you a general idea.

The easiest way to do it is just program what you hear in you head. There is no 1 right way to do anything.

As a general rule of thumb...

Highhats play quater notes (one note per beat ex 1 - 2 - 3 - 4) or eighth notes (2 notes per beat ex. 1and - 2and - 3and - 4and).

The snare commonly fassl on the 2 and 4 of each beat.

A quater note feel ( or straight feel / straight time feel) would be

X represents the hits.

Hats 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Sn 1 - Hit - 3 - Hit
Kick Hit - 2 - Hit Hit - 4

Thats pretty much what the standard Kick Snare Kick Kick Snare thing would be like. Its not easy to do here on the forum obviously.

pointers:

Double bass is usually eighth notes
Hats 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Sn 1 - Hit 3 - Hit
Kick Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit - Hit

Hard to do here obviously but i hope this gives you a general idea.

you are the guru! (or Steve Smyth rather :lol:) thanks bro, i will check it out at home

Linux rocks my fucking socks too. Oh, and when you move down to Texas give me a ring if you need Linux work.

Another idea would be to listen to bands whose drummers just don't like convention - A Perfect Circle, Dream Theater/OSI (both Portnoy), Tool - and try to pick apart what they're doing, just like you do for guitarists when you're trying to work on soloing. Just look at one or two things at a time - like how the kick and snare are used to keep time in a section - and don't try swallowing everything at once.

Jeff

If you're going to want VSTs working in Linux you have a little work to do because the people in charge of that technology aren't too friendly to Linux. You'll need WINE and FST (http://joebutton.co.uk/fst/), and you may need to copy the files from another box if your installation doesn't work.

Jeff