chord help

got another thing, not a chord just a bunch of dissonant intervals that i thought some of you guys could use (i dont know if its in common practice or not). i personally think that minor seconds are dissonant-sounding, so (in A) i stuck an A# onto it, sounded pretty dissonant. the problem is ive heard it used alot already by bands like cynic and meshuggah, so i decided to try and add something else. i stuck a B (major 2nd, another dissonant sounding interval) ontop of the root and the m2, so now its root A, m2 A# and M2 B.

oh and btw, both the m2 and the M2 are played one octave higher than the root note.

here is how i play it on tab:

e:
b:
g:4
d:8
a:
e:5

i was playing it on my classical guitar fingerstyle, but if you want to play with a pick with an electric /w reverb/drive etc, its easy enough to mute that A string.

If you want to make it even more dissonant, add a major seventh (G#) at the bottom of the chord. To keep the chord still playable one should probably move three other notes up one string:

e:
b:0
g:3
d:
a:0
e:4

...or if you wish to have A as the bass note, you can add the major seventh an octave higher:

e:
b:0
g:3
d:6
a:0
e:

This chord will sound like a G#minor add9 with no fifth, but with the minor 9th (A) at the bottom. Sounds kinda cool!

Well, if you boil it down, music does equal math! How do we describe intervals? With numbers! How do we describe time signature and rhythm? With numbers! How do we define timbre? With fourier analysis of partials, i.e. with numbers!

Kind of morbid to think that your most beloved songs can be reduced to a series of numbers and formulas, isn't it?

I remember seeing somewhere out there was program that you actually fed a series of numbers and it would spit out some interesting music. Some users were getting some pretty wild results. But thats been a while back, I don't remember the name of it.

To the original poster, the Mixolydian mode most resembles a dominate 7 chord. So a mixo scale with a b5 would probably work. You can look up the fingerings on wiki.

An altered dominant chord is a dominant seventh containing any combination of the following altered tones: b5, #5, b9, #9. They are most commonly used as chord V in a minor key though they are sometimes used in the same context in a major key. The V chord tipically will feel farthest from your tonic chord "I chord or home". So using the 7b5 as your last chord before returning to the tonic usually yeilds good results.

wow thanks cadenz you theory monster

im hesitant to use open notes because then i cant shift the chord up and down the scale and neck. id prefer to fret all my notes

The best dissonance Opeth ever had was in my opinion The Drapery Fall's last riff (after "spiralling through the ground below...") The last note of that riff (two notes actually so not a chord) sounds like absolute shit; being composed of C# and D (9th fret on low E and 5th fret on A) but in that riff it sounds really awesome.

what about the opening riff of leper affinity

yeh, that sounds like a cool diad. its a minor second also, 1 semitone apart.

for me thats a really stand-out riff in terms of dissonance, always sounds unresolving when it changes from lamo power chord to super awesome m2.

the discussion in this thread made me curious to find out what you could do with all those chords and so i composed a little piece in G melodic minor sporting the "G minor major 7", the "C major b5 dom7" (all over the place), and the "G sus4 major 7" chord along with other strange stuff. although this is not meant as self-promotion i'ld rather play safe and put it in the "post your recordings here" thread, so look here for the link: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...nfo-music-recordings-here-59.html#post7632282

awesome, i shall check it out now

whoa its for classical guitar nice work

that was heaps fun man, whenever u compose more of that sort of stuff can you give me a PM?

the discussion in this thread made me curious to find out what you could do with all those chords and so i composed a little piece in G melodic minor sporting the "G minor major 7", the "C major b5 dom7" (all over the place), and the "G sus4 major 7" chord along with other strange stuff. although this is not meant as self-promotion i'ld rather play safe and put it in the "post your recordings here" thread, so look here for the link: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...nfo-music-recordings-here-59.html#post7632282

How do you strum that in 00:05-00:06? I don't know how to strum it either with fingers and either with a pick... Same about that chord you end with the song. How do you skip those two strings? (I looked at the guitar pro tab also).

How do you strum that in 00:05-00:06? I don't know how to strum it either with fingers and either with a pick... Same about that chord you end with the song. How do you skip those two strings? (I looked at the guitar pro tab also).

I'm not sweeping it with the thumb or a pick, I just pick every string individually with a different finger, eg. the C-F#-E-Bb chord:

e --6--
B --5--
G -----
D --4--
A --3--
E -----

I play it with thumb (A-3) - index (D-4) - middle (B-5) - ring (e-6) finger.

So you actually tried to play it? That's cool! :)

Yea, I played it.
It sounds so fast like you strum the chord or something... it's just your fingers picking fast? It confuses. Well probably because I was never really exposed to that kind of technique... And if I was before, I probably didn't really understand it.
And also, I've seen this alot on Guitar Pro tabs, chords played with skipping a string or two, how come? It's just a mistake? Misheard?
Because it's impossible, I think to skip a string or two while strumming a chord, those sections that were tabbed that way were 'metal sections', played with a pick.

For example look at this: (This is ''The Lotus Eater'')
lotus_eater1.jpg

Taken from http://www.guitarmessenger.com/sites/lessons/artist_masterclass/mikael_akerfeldt/1.html

How is it played?
By the way, those X's are dead notes right? Means I have to strum the chord with palm muting the strings, right?

^I'ld play the chord in bar 1 with the left hand like this:

e ----
h ----
g -11- ring finger
D -10- index finger
A ----
E -11- middle finger

Then you can hold the middle finger at an acute angle to the fretboard so that it touches the A-string without pressing it down, to the effect that it won't play a note when you strum the E-A-D-g strings.

And I guess the X-notes are percussion notes meaning you touch all of the denoted strings without pressing them down to the fretboard so that they will only give a short percussive sound when you strum them. However, don't touch the string too slightly or you'll get a flageolet. When you palm mute you can still hear a note of a certain frequency but with percussion notes it doesn't matter much on which position on the string you put your fingers, it always sounds the same. Thus the X instead of a number denoting a fret.

Mikael plays it with a pick, not fingers, as you can see on the link that I posted below the image. So, he just holds the middle fingers on the A-string without pressing it down?