tricky soloing.. any hints and tips

:lol: As I expected.

If you'd actually read my post, you'd note that while I said music theory is a great and necessary component to any musician's repertoire, it is not the end-all solution to everything. There's proper consideration, and then there's overanalysis. In my opinion, this thread is asking for overanalysis. That just creates stale, clinical music. Good day sir.

PS: My favorite part of your post was how you mentioned my tone as 'condescending' and then tossed in the ad hominim. Brilliant.

Still looking for "I said music theory is a great and necessary component to any musician's repertoire"...must be missing that.

Actually this thread isn't asking for anything...some kid taking a music class wanted some constructive advice from other mature musicians. Oh, and try spell check if you're trying to appear as such an intellectual whiz.

Getting ideas on paper before executing them creates stale, clinical music...wow! Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Gershwin, Ellington...man...that's some stale music.

Glad you had a favorite part. Peace.

Music theory is great and should be considered, but it's more of a guideline than a rule. Arrrr.

I hope bold helps your poor reading skills. Cheers:kickass:

I'd like to see where you got information about any of those classical masters making up a guitar solo during a gig. I dig them as much as anybody (well, "anybody" is a dwindling minority) but that's an entirely different subject. You don't like my "advice" then ignore and move on. What a bunch of emo pansies.

You don't have time to do that shit in a live gig.
That's the point of practicing beforehand, which includes writing it out on paper. You play things, you write things, you study the relationships in terms of both theory and ear training... eventually you get good at it, and get quick at it, and you DO have time to do that shit at a gig.

Where did that progression come from? Clashy with no resolutions.

Its lifted from the verse of Guthrie Govan's track "erotic cakes". The assignment is just to record a radio jingle with a voiceover and the content isn't important, it's the recording techniques that are marked... still that doesn't mean I don't want my solo to be killer! I wouldn't normally just lift a chord sequence but I wanted something a bit more interesting and unnatural to solo over than the stuff I normally come up with, and at the end of the day this track wont leave campus so it's doing no harm!

Thanks for the suggestions from the people who aren't kenneth. ABQ- thanks for your suggestions, haven't had a chance to try them out yet (just got back from seeing a certain band :D) but I'll fiddle with them tomorrow, they sound pretty well thought through though.

Anyone who can explain to me why the mixolydian still works over the second chord (when as far as i can see it shouldnt, but somehow it does) gets a gold star as well!

:headbang:

Anyone who can explain to me why the mixolydian still works over the second chord (when as far as i can see it shouldnt, but somehow it does) gets a gold star as well!

The 2nd is like using a 13th note on your jazz chords. 1 3 5 7 13.

In relation to soloing, I guess modes are the only solution if you have a crap ear. Otherwise you can do what I do and just know where to end a run. Its a combination of "feeling my way around" and pitch recognition. Also I think ts easier since I play keys, but I guess if you know the fretboard well then its also managable.

In relation to soloing, I guess modes are the only solution if you have a crap ear. Otherwise you can do what I do and just know where to end a run. Its a combination of "feeling my way around" and pitch recognition. Also I think ts easier since I play keys, but I guess if you know the fretboard well then its also managable.

Actually, with me anyway, modes really helped to develop my ear. There are many unique sounds that they posses (Lydian, Mixolydian and Phrygian come to mind instantly). Knowing how they sound alone, when to apply them in a given progression and how they sound used in a non diatonic chord progression is a really big help.

Sorry bro, I forgot that with these little daisies, you have to sugar coat every word or you hurt their sensitive fealings. That's not my style.

C'mon dude, you know your first few posts had absolutely nothing that could even be mistaken as constructive. And you know there's a difference between disagreeing with someone and being a douche without contributing anything useful to the conversation. Those first few posts were straight up trolling, and there was only really anything usefull when people called you out.

Whatever, i'm not a guitarist so i have nothing to do in this convo except bitch at Ken. That's not terribly constructive either eh? :lol:

Sorry bro, I forgot that with these little daisies, you have to sugar coat every word or you hurt their sensitive fealings. That's not my style.

Actually, it's simply being civil. This is a somewhat serious board with some very cool people involved in intersting and informative music talk. I continue to come here because of the obvious lack of boobs like yourself. It has nothing to do with sensitivity or feelings...it has to do with a dick like yourself interjecting useless shit from your self proclaimed cyber-nazi soapbox and disrupting the thread. You're not as bright, funny or witty as you believe you are. :cry:

Actually, with me anyway, modes really helped to develop my ear. There are many unique sounds that they posses (Lydian, Mixolydian and Phrygian come to mind instantly). Knowing how they sound alone, when to apply them in a given progression and how they sound used in a non diatonic chord progression is a really big help.

I can believe this, this is something I need to look into fairly soon.

Ken, you're kinda being a dick dude. Just sayin'.
He is right though. To a degree.

If every chord progression had specific shit that you're "supposed" to do over it, then there would be no room for orginality in music. Everybody would just be writing variations of everything over and over again.

Wait, did I miss the good part of the thread already?