Opeth's song writing... naive???

Found on a web site:

You throw the sinker pretty much like a fast ball. It is mostly a modified two seem fastball. Take your two seemer grip, then move your pointer and middle fingers closer together. They should now be between the seems (fingers on seems takes away the sinking action). Offset your thumb from the 6 o;clock position to about 7 or 8 o'clock.

When you throw, this grip will make you, without trying, "turn the ball over". From a righthander, the ball will have a little clockwise and "top" spin to it. The ball will TEND to move in and down to a righthanded batter.

Another way to throw the sinker is to widen your pointer a middle finger a bit from the two seem fastball. Now they will be outside the laces of the "sweet" spot on the baseball. Thumb stays in the same position as a regular two seem fastball. This pitch will tend to break straight down late. You will loose velocity (compared to the two seem fastball) but pick up movement down. With a little pressure from either finger, you will find the ball tailing one way or another. Some call this a sinker, others call it a split fingered fastball. Neither term is completely accurate but both suffice.

bangadrian said:
solo over a chord progression that has "wrong" chords in it, so we usually end up changing it, at least for the solo part.

Is that why (zakk wylde in particular in his ozzzy stuff) some songs change to a different riff, heard nowhere else in the song, just for the solo?

Dark Hunter said:
My opinion's quite simple :

Music should always be written focusing on how it SOUNDS.
I guess that's what music is all about... SOUND
Theory might be used to HELP us writing songs, so that we don't have to try every note for a solo, or every chord, to find the ones that get along well with the others.

I believe that music is also about feel. The vibration of the sound around the room sends impulses throughout your body which adds to the effect of the music, especially genres like Death Metal which can scare you because of the feel.