Guitar sound pointers

muldjord

May 7, 2013
I'm in the process of writing new material for my band Muldjord. I will be doing all of the mixing and mastering when the time comes. I have many years of experience with this, but I still consider myself a rookie.

With that said, I am looking for some pointers for guitar sound. A band called Naglfar from Sweden has an EP called "Ex Inferis" with a cover track called "Dawn of Eternity". The guitar sound on that song is exactly what I want for my own production, but I am unsure how they made it.

Therefore, I present to you, a link to the song. If you have any ideas for which amp is used, what mics, eq'ing, what setup and what post-processing is used, pleeeease let me know.

What I notice is that it sounds like they have 2 types of guitars. 1 bright and 1 with a more bassy sound. And perhaps a lot of compression on some of the frequencies to make it feel broad.

Not my ideal guitar tone exactly, but at a first listen I would say a lot of gain/drive/dist, and lots of treble. The "2 types of guitars" you hear might be the bass. In my mixes, if I want a fat guitar sound, I usually look at the bass, haha. Even if many link this all the time, Ermz' guide on how to EQ guitars have really helped me a lot, and if you haven't, you should check it out;
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-series-1-poking-holes-high-gain-guitars.html

Thanks! That was a very good read, and nice to know that I actually use exactly the same technique as described in that tutorial. Awesome! Great feeling being on the right track. :)

So, back to the guitar sound in the song I linked. Any ideas on amp, cab, mics? Maybe even dual amps? Dual mics? I'm looking for any clues.

In order to get that kind of sound try recording 4 or maybe a lot more guitar tracks to get that phasey effect and then pan them diferently. If you're going to use impulses try the scooped ones, like Guitarhack Edge Sneap. EQwise you probably need a lot of bottom end (depending on the bass sound) and 8k presence, scoop some of that 800Hz and kill those low mid resonances (around 200 to 400Hz), that should help.
Be careful tho, this kind of guitar sound only works for some metal styles, you may find that its not what you're looking for your band...

what miguelrx10d said also I've found that strings play a big part in the sound as far as the firmness or sag goes. I recommend getting very light strings for something like this as it will give you more sag at the same tuning.

I really like how Arjen Lucassen gets his guitar sounds. It's a template I've been using for my own recordings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not do more than quad tracking. You might think everything is going to get bigger, right? Well, no. Instead it gets smaller. Stick with 1 L and 1 R, and maybe quad track in the chorus etc to make it blow up/stand out more.
I have no idea what gear they used recording this (Naglfar), but i can tell you, a 5150 + TS + Mesa 4x12 + SM57 is going to do the job. If you dont have the money or the gear, then go with an amp-sim that emulates that amp. For eg.: Amplitube 3 (150W amp), peavey revalver (6505 etc)

I actually think the Hybrit amp sim with a Ts sim heavily added can achieve this tone pretty well. the op example tone has that marshall squishiness.

I would not do more than quad tracking. You might think everything is going to get bigger, right? Well, no. Instead it gets smaller. Stick with 1 L and 1 R, and maybe quad track in the chorus etc to make it blow up/stand out more.
I have no idea what gear they used recording this (Naglfar), but i can tell you, a 5150 + TS + Mesa 4x12 + SM57 is going to do the job. If you dont have the money or the gear, then go with an amp-sim that emulates that amp. For eg.: Amplitube 3 (150W amp), peavey revalver (6505 etc)

I have a Kemper, so I'll do some profiling with my friends 6505+ and the tubescreamer.
I always quad track, so that part is "the usual" for me, no problem.

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate your input.