Guitar Sound

Onkloo

New Metal Member
Feb 6, 2003
www.geocities.com
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help me but I'm struggling to achieve a big guitar sound similar to that of Andy and fellow mix guru Daniel Bergstrand (hehe - I wonder how many people have asked something like this before! ;) ). I am using 4 tracks of guitar (2 occupying higher frequency ranges, 2 lower) each panned hard left and right.

Now I have experimented with the Haas effect and reverb quite extensively and have spent considerable time playing around with compression but so far I have failed to achieve a sound even remotely close to that of professional mixers. If I had to classify my sound, I'd describe it as being very 'one-dimensional'. The sound is generally in the right frequency range but it seems to lack any sort of depth whatsoever. I was always under the impression that reverb was needed for depth but I have had no luck at all with reverb so far (and I have used many different reverb programs and settings as well BTW).

Lastly, I am recording direct with a POD and GT3 and using a Jackson with EMG81 pickups. Now, I know I can't achieve *exactly* the same sound as the pros using this setup but surely there must be a way to achieve roughly *comparable* guitar sounds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if its just a couple of hints to steer me in the right direction (Andy? ;) )

Ash

I wouldnt personally go direct. I just really really try hard on getting a great sound before going to tape with the amplifier EQ.

You can always purchase a graphic equaliser to tweak the guitar so it is perfect.

I just use an SM57 also or a D414(I think) slightly off center from the cone for a slightly darker sound.

Wow - 1 whole reply!! ;) Hehe - I expected that though. This forum seems pretty dead during the best of times. Not to worry. Anywho...

Thanks for your response Fyhed.

BTW, I've noticed that there seems to be different views (from what I can tell anyway) as far as the number of guitar tracks used. Some pros (like Andy *I think*) seem to use a fixed number (ie. around 4) and really concentrate on getting the desired sound by directing much of their focus on mic placement whereas others (Butch Vig) tend to use an approach whereby they keep adding tracks until it sounds "big" or "full" enough to their ears, using 20+ tracks in order to fill gaps in the sound.

What is your view?

Well, you'll be struggling with the Pod, they're fine for demo's , odd overdubs etc, but you really need some speaker movement.

I usually track gtrs 4 times, twice if we are really pushed for time, SM57 in the right place on a celestion vintage 30

Oh and I usually use two amps, so two tracks of each, I'm digging the peavey xxx at the moment with, dare I say it ...passive pick ups. Just used it on new Arch Enemy with mikes esp V, which has a Seymour Jeff Beck. That and a 5150 and it's sounds great.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Sorry for the delay in replying :(

Well, I had one of my guitar friends come over the other week and we had a bit of a play around. The more we did, the more I discovered that many of the problems I was running into seemed more because I tried to mix with the recording incomplete (ie. trying to mix the kick, bass, snare and guitars independently of the rest of the mix). Even though subconciously you know what the other bits like the cymbals, keys and vocals are supposed to sound like, its a different story when everything is playing together and that was sort of fooling my ears when comparing my recordings with pro jobs like Andy's I believe. And getting a proper pair of studio monitors helped a little too ;)

Anyway, so we tried doing more 'complete' recordings and instantly the guitars started sounding a *lot* better. Not fantastic but much better. Got to work on it more though. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm actually getting some good sounds now by having a really bright/trebly tone (so as to cut through in the mix) hard panned left and right (but lower volume) and then a more mid to high-mid accentuated tone (with delay) more centred. Its starting to sound more like what I'm after (with the other tracks added of course!!)

Cheers,

Ash

Amps, guitars, players, pre amps and converters could help you a lot...
If you have all that to use in your recording, good, now it's all about working you skills... but if you don't... I doubt you'll achieve exactly what you're looking for (major engineers w/ good gear and good musicians results)

Hey I just noticed that you guys could misunderstand what I'm trying to say... :)
The point is... If you sit on the same studio w/ Andy, I bet you'll get a diferent result than him, right?!
Now, if you sit in your home studio, you GOTTA know that you have limitations, and work 'till you're satisfied. You know, skills and gear count a LOT

There's basic things you can look out for tho. With your o/h try filtering out from 500/ 600 hz down and also with your gtrs filter from 60/80 hz down and also from 12 k up, see if that helps. Watch the low mids in the gtrs the bass has to fit somewhere, and try distorting the bass more than you think, you need some mid range there.

Hey thanks for your help guys.

I worked on the sound a bit more yesterday. I have a small (600k) mp3 sample that I uploaded to my site. It sounds a bit messy ATM as its only a preliminary mix but its the kind of sound I'm aiming for. Obviously theres serious problems with it in terms of allowing space for vocals, etc. and I've only tested it out on my stereo system at home so theres probably major problems there too but anyway, if you want to check it out (any comments appreciated), go to:

http://www.geocities.com/sfgibs/sample.mp3

Ash

Thats weird. o_O

I checked it just then and it appears to be all working fine. So did you click on the link in my previous post and it said the file was missing?

Bloody geocities probably! :p

Ash

PS. A word of warning (I should have mentioned this before). The sample is not even remotely heavy! :tickled: