Guitar Technique

Lykanthrope

May 7, 2003
shithole, AZ
I've been playing guitar for a few years now and lately I've noticed my playing has been lacking in a few areas. Picking technique is one of them. Playing notes while my guitar is distorted and make that sort pick scraping noise when I hit the strings. The other one is how sloppy runs sound when I play them distorted. I practice some of this stuff on an acoustic, but when move to an electric is sounds horrible. I was wondering if a) I could get some advice on how to remedy this and b) if someone knew of a guitar forum where I could post questions like this and get some help.

Thanks,

Lykis

The best way to decrease the noise when playing distorted guitars is muting. use you right-hand palm to mute the strings. This way you can learn to be more clean and effective while playing certain techniques... later on... when you become more advanced in playing the guitar... especially when you get to string skipping, sweeping, and string skipping tapping... you'll notice that muting is very necessary inorder to get an effective noise-free sound... it needs a little bit of practice to get used to palm muting, but once you get it, you'll notice that everything you're playing now kind of sounds alot better and more coherent.

Tell me how that goes for you.... and good luck :)

in my opinion electric and acoustic guitars are two totally different instruments,so if u wanna play the electric u should spend more time on it.

indeed.

@practicing.. just start out slow, use a metronome.. could be t40, doesn't matter how slow, just make your notes sound good. And then turn up the tempo.. Sounds cliché, but it's the truth :)

g'luck \m/

\m/FRNK\m/ said:
indeed.

@practicing.. just start out slow, use a metronome.. could be t40, doesn't matter how slow, just make your notes sound good. And then turn up the tempo.. Sounds cliché, but it's the truth :)

g'luck \m/

no it's not cliche... as a matter of fact, what he's saying is very true and precise.. you wanna get any better at playing the guitar, then the metronome has to become your best friend for the next couple of months or years or whatever time you need to perfect your techniques !!! now go get to shredding :headbang: !! ... slowly first ofcourse :D

yes, starting slow and even exaggerating your movements a bit at first... then slowly tighten up your movement and raise tempo. for any given technique this process should take days, if not weeks... untill you have mastered it.