Guitar tone check time - 8505+impulses!

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
Hey guys, it's been long since i've posted a clip here, but now i want your help to improve my guitar tone.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2843326/GuitarToneTry.mp3

Guitar is a low end douglas with an alder body (from rondomusic). Used the emg81 in the bridge for tracking..
Riff's are quad tracked and for tone:
TSS->8505->Catharsis Spres-high,
a LP at 120Hz,
a HP at 10.5KHz
a 5db dip at 4.5Khz to remove some fizziness

I dunno about the tone, do you guys think it would work in the mix? Is it too woofy? harsh? what would it take to make this sound great..

Looking forward to all the criticism..
Thanks

common guys..
if you think it sucks ass, do say so..just with a little explanation of why/what to improve??

It's not a bad tone. The 8505+catharsis impulse is a pretty common and proven combo. The TSS is very common also, although you might try boosting with Solo_C instead and see if you like it better. I, too, was using TSS until someone told me about boosting with Solo_C, and it sounds a bit better to my ears, so I adopted that.

Also, regarding quad-tracking; it's fairly common, but the precision of playing, and tightness of DI's really need to be very good or quad can actually sound worse instead of thicker and better.

Good luck.

The tone is good. Try tweaking the tone knob on the TSS as it has a great impact on the sound you're getting. Maybe you will get something that makes you happier.
If it would work in the mix? Yes.

Shogger

I like this tone a lot. It's not to high gain-ish, it's just right. Would like to know how it sounds with a more powerchord-ish riff.

Oh, and would you mind to share you're TSS and 8505 settings?

Thanks for looking guys

Here's settings, though i doubt they're worth much:
tss.jpg

8505.jpg

more opinions please?