An Original: Metal/Rock with some Keys..pod/8505+dfh

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
Hey guys, long time no post :p
Anyway, here at college i got together with this keyboardist, got him into metal and here you have the result..
IMO, it might be a bit bass heavy but i dunno what to do about that without losing some serious meat that im liking on the bass tone..
What are your opinions??
Any pointers on guitar tone, bass or absolutely anything at all?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2843326/POB-Mixdown-23-11-09.mp3

Bash away!

Edit:
Details on sound:
Clean guitars
I recorded the clean parts with an emg81 in bridge and then again with a no-name neck pickup, edited to be perfectly in phase. Later, i was trying out the presonus studio one, and used their amp sim - ampire's fender bassman model (quite similar to the one on my podx3) and it was pretty decent. That combined with a synced delay with mix at 20% (still washed out the parts though, but lead to an interesting effect).
Rhythm:
Quad-tracked, 8505, plus a hint of the pod's uberschall sim. hipass,lopassed and a 5db narrow cut at roughly 4.5k.
Bass:
Pettinhouse dbfree through the pod.
Drums:
Mix of andy's chimaira kicks;Phobia snare;attempt at parllel comp(-18dB) but not sure about whether this fits..
Keys:
EWQLSO Silver (keyboardist owns it)...compression to level mainly

Edit: newer mix attached:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2843326/Mixdown 25-11-09.mp3

Newbie here but if you want some feedback, bass drum and snare sound kinda lost in the mix, volume issue I think, also I find it pretty 'bassless'. Dunno what monitors are you using, but why don't you try A/Bing between something similar to the sound youre after and this so that you can compare hands on?

hmm... up the bass drum, bass and guitars??
could you explain lifeless abit more please (they are digital but please try..)

Hey, I liked the tune ok, the 2nd mix was much better. Only thing I didn't dig about the mix was a weird volume pumping effect I assume was from compression in some spots. I'm way too n00b to offer any more specific/constructive criticism.

FWIW - I also recently started jamming with a keyboard player who wasn't into metal and our jams, though entirely improv, sound somewhat like your tune style-wise. Maybe there's a mysterious, universal standard 'metal guitar + prog keys' sound that musicians default to? I liked the track. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hey, where are you getting the pumping, is it the drums? I was trying out some parallel compression on the drum bus and am new to it, so that might be the cause..
If you're not talking about the drums pumping, then what is?
Thanks for looking and keep em coming..