Guitar tone help. Having chord clarity issues+cannot trust my ears :(

Kavar216

Resident Jedi Knight
Oct 27, 2009
Goa, India
https://soundcloud.com/cowsonthebeach/clarity-issues-clip-3-guitar

Small clip of an upcoming song I'm working on.
On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being horrible, muddy, squished and unclear and 10 being crystal clear, sweet and lovely, how would you rate this tone?

It is unmixed and there is no bass. There are 3 guitar layers: hard left, hard right, and center.
I'd just like your opinions. The guitar tone sounds decent to me, but I dunno, I'm at a stage where I'm not able to trust my ears for some reason. :eek:
Please help.

Thanks! :)

Additional info: EMG 707 into PODX3, L6 Modern High Gain model, no boost. I THINK it was the Treadplate cab.

First off get rid of that center guitar, if its not a lead. I never get why some people like doing it, no offense here, it´s just my common sense telling me there is so much layered in the middle (kick, snare, vocals, lead (by occasion), bass etc., that things will get unclear in the middle.
Either from that, it´s actually not too bad. I´d give it a 3-4.

Listening on my laptop right now but man, it's just pretty hard to judge a guitar tone if there's no bass.

I'm so sorry, been out of town for a while.
Alright I'll get rid of the center layer.
Aside from that, I'm specifically interested in what you guys think of the tone itself, not the entire mix. Can you hear all the notes in the chords?

I don't see the need to ditch the center guitar, as it doesn't play the same as the rhythm guitars.
But you need to seperate them a bit more, EQ wise.
Overall I like the sound of the first clip more, in the 2nd one the middle is too harsh.

Rating the tone doesn't make a lot of sense without bass. Also the drums are a lot brighter than the guitars, so it's hard to judge what is up with the tone.

My impression is that the the tone is pretty middy and stiff. Like too much 500-800hz or something like that.
A bit more low mids wouldn't harm too IMO

I would try different cabinet impulses as your first line of defense. The tone is too core-mid centric, like many others have said. Is it terrible? No. Is it even bad? I don't think so. The tone isn't crippling the mix to the point where I don't want to listen to it, but it's taking up the "wrong" space in the mix. Reference, reference, reference :) (4/10)