Add Thickness To My Guitar Tone ???

What guage strings are you using? I find this is a really important consideration when looking for thickness in guitars. Thin strings will give you a thin sound.

Personally I tune to drop D and use the top and bottom 3 from a 7 string set. So I go from 9-52. If I was tuning to Drop C I'd be going up a couple of guages.

As some others said + my own 2 cents (can't listen to your clip from work sorry) :

-picking harder
-more gain (but not too much to keep the clarity)
-more mids (well with my rig it gives more thickness to the tone)
-semi-wide boost in the 400-500 hz region in post-eq for more body/thickness

and that guitar tone on the Alter Bridge album is defo killer

You need to find a good balance between Gain and Volume. You may just need to crank your amp. and try some of the previously suggested EQ settings.

You mentioned that it sounds fine in the room. If you're using more than one mic, you're more than likely having issues with phase cancellation.

My question is, How Can/Do I add thickness to my guitar tone?
I am currently trying to record my songs and my guitar tone just sounds very thin coming back through the monitors.(NS-10)
I'm not talking add bass! But thickness.
Most of my tunes are in Drop C to Drop D.

I went a bit overboard with guitars on this example, but I think it's good and shows the fact that guitars don't make the song thick. Info on the mix: 12 takes of guitars, 1 track of bass guitar, midi drums. Eventho I have 12 guitars (4 takes with LTD EC1000 DI to AcmeBarGig Knucklehead, 4 takes with LTD EC1000 to Peavey Windsor, 2 takes with Ibanez Artcore to Peavey Windsor, 2 takes with Ibanez Artcore to Marshall Mode Four), you tell me honestly if the single bass track doesn't add any thickness to the mix...

WITH BASS: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/ahjteam_hunger_v02_hugewall.mp3
WITHOUT BASS: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/ahjteam_hunger_v02_hugewall_nobass.mp3

hey Gareth, wich distortion works best for you on "twang" part of bass? Did you use some cab sims on bass?

i usually just use TSS to get my twang. My 7170 with the gain really low as well.
And on the twang and distortion tracks i use s-preshigh.

:lol:

This seems to only work for Colin Richardson. :loco:

At times I almost think he was just taking the piss when he posted his EQ tips.

bad part is, you use his EQ on a guitar tone and its like HOLY FUCK I SOUND LIKE COLIN RICHARDSON NOW
its almost creepy.

bad part is, you use his EQ on a guitar tone and its like HOLY FUCK IT SOUNDS MUDDY AS HELL
its almost creepy.

fixed

Boosting "400hz for the note of the guitar, and around 70-100 hz to pick out the weight of the cab." doesn't do much good in my mixes, except if the amp was dialed with not enough bass/low mids.

Funny he doesn't seem to remove anything but boosts a lot, but oh well, the guitar tone in Heartwork is so insane. Seems to work for him.

<3