Andy S.O.S!!- Mesa Boogie settings for good recording tone

Xater

New Metal Member
Nov 24, 2006
Mesa Boogie /ENGL settings for good recording tone...

I'm posting this thread hoping mr Sneap will answer... but if anyone else know about this please answer....

I want to know some information about MesaBoogie Triple Rectifier+MaxonOD settings for obtain NEVERMORE(Godless Endeavour),Kreator(Enemy of God) or similar good guitar tone for record
a CD of my band.

My equipment:

Amps: -Mesa Boogie Triple rectifier
-ENGL Powerball

Cabs: -Marshall 1960 Lead ( I supous 75 Celestions)
-ENGL E412 Estandart

Guitar effects: -Maxon OD 808

Guitar: ESP Eclipse I with EMG 81/60 active pickups

Recording machine: Mac G4+Mbox-Pro tools+Apogee MiniMe AD 24/96 Comverter Mic/Di/Preamp.

Mics: Shure SM 57

:headbang:

Hell-o Xater,
don't wanna be a dickhead, but i think it's pretty rude to not even introduce yourself in your first post and ask andy to give away his secrets even without any "thank you"....

Andy is a very kind and helpfull guy, that has posted his settings more than once, and even gave us some samples etc...
but don't take it for granted.....

i believe that andy wont answer you , look, this is your fisrt post , no intruction , and asking for " free " helP? sorry dude

i have send him several pm messages to andy and he never answer them , so... maybe the xpert people on this forum could help you

Pardon Me for my ignorance but my english grammar level are very bad
and I dont write introductions. Sorry

Please, ¿ENYONE else know about this ...??

- (LSD-Studio,Felipe-x) Thanks for your contributions!!!

Reactions: XtremeParanoia
Try this: Take a mic, place it in front of a speaker & hit record. Listen to track, the move mic and repeat. Notice the change in sound. Now keep doing it over and over again till you learn what's happening.

Reactions: XtremeParanoia
here the settings Andy used on Nevermore's DHIADW:

DEAD HEART IN A DEAD WORLD:
Custom Built 7 String Guitar loaded with EMG 707 pickups. The guitars were routed into a Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer that was used as a signal boost. The settings on the TS-9 were:

Drive: 9 O'Clock
Tone: 10 O'Clock
Level: 12 O'Clock

This was fed into the amp that was used on all of the rhythm and leads. The amp used was a Mesa Boogie (2 Channel) Dual Rectifier that was straight from the box. The Mesa Recto was routed into a Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab with the stock 75 Celestions they have. Settings on the Mesa Recto were:

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel
Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

There were 4 tracks of rhythm, with 2 tracks being panned 100% left and right, and the other set being panned 80% left and right. There was no compression, limiting, etc...only a slight touch of EQ used. Two Shure SM-57's were used for recording, one on the center of the cone about an inch away.

Try this: Take a mic, place it in front of a speaker & hit record. Listen to track, the move mic and repeat. Notice the change in sound. Now keep doing it over and over again till you learn what's happening.

that's the better way

THIS should help, too

Don't think those settings will help if the triple recto you have is a 3 channel, xater. Andys settings are based around the dual rec 2 channel version. Although, it should give you a good starting point.

why are you being such a dick head ????

why are you being such a dick head ????
Calm down buddy. I don't remember calling anyone names. Let's not regress to middle-school antics. Recording is all about learning. If someone takes the time to note the changes in mic placement, they will be able to do a lot more when recording. If someone says "dial in this setting and place your mic here" - sure that gives them a good tone. But how about the next time they record and maybe they have different amps or mics, and it just won't translate the same?

It's the old "teach a man to fish" story. I'm not opposed to someone asking what everyones settings are like on an amp. Or what method people approach in recording. But this post was just asking as if there are default settings or rules on how to get a certain tone. :kickass:

Kinda OT but has anyone tried those setting and liked them? I tried them with a boogie cab and the tone wasn't even useable for me. Love the tone on the CD though.

I know a story of Van Halen and Ted Nugent being on tour and deciding to swap the gear for a concert, so Ted was playing Eddies guitar and rig and Eddie was playing Ted's stuff - guess what happened?

They sounded like they always sounded. No change ... Most of the tone is in the fingers!

Don't know if that is the VH-story mentioned above, but it would fit.