Guitar tone help

Mcshredsalot

New Metal Member
Mar 4, 2013
Hey everyone. I'm having some trouble getting a guitar tone I want. Tones like Joey Gets (I don't use pod farm btw). I was talking to the guitarist of Memphis May Fire on twitter and he told me on their record they used a TSE plugin, then LeXact and lecab2 with Catharsis s-preshigh. I have all of those plugs and can't get anywhere near it. I also have Nick Crowes cab, legion, hybrit, solo c as well as GH impulses, Gods cab, catharsis and red wirez. If any of you can tell me a good set of impulses to use together for a good tone I'd appreciate it. Or any other tips to help get that "beefy" tone. Thanks!

With both clips at the same level, what sounds different about your guitar tone against the desired tone?

Is that with guitar playing solo, or with bass and drums? Try and find a clip with just the guitar, you will find that it will more than likely sound very thin.

Keep in mind that the guitar tone you're hearing of theirs could also be heavily colored by the mastering chain. Also, Joey refused to give his POD farm present primarily because "even if they had the preset they wouldn't like it, i rule at mastering". The basics as far as my chain, all I do is hi pass 150, low pass around 12k, and cut around 6k, and send it to a limiter.

Keep in mind that the guitar tone you're hearing of theirs could also be heavily colored by the mastering chain. Also, Joey refused to give his POD farm present primarily because "even if they had the preset they wouldn't like it, i rule at mastering". The basics as far as my chain, all I do is hi pass 150, low pass around 12k, and cut around 6k, and send it to a limiter.

Yeah true. I'm not trying to get his tone. Just a tone similar. Obviously there are a bunch of good tones that are different I was just trying to use his because it works and then tweak it to my liking if that makes sense. Also I don't know about mastering haha. I usually just use the presets on compressors and stuff.

I would focus on learning how to use a compressor properly, If you can't control dynamics then how do you propose to mix uncontrolled sources? There are tons of great resources out there and it is not genre specific. It is probably the most important tool to understand.