guitar tone question

bluepowder

Sep 5, 2009
Florida
No Matter what I try, I cant seem to get my rhythm guitars to not sound cheap....what frequencies do the cheap sound usually lie in??any suggestions?

Im running an Ibanez with HAS sound Vipers into a UX1 with podfarm.....

This is a ballad that I wrote.. it's about peace and love and all that good happiness stuff...

Try rolling your guitars off gently around 14khz mark. Roll off from 80hz down and then see what that leaves you with.

This is a ballad that I wrote.. it's about peace and love and all that good happiness stuff...

Try rolling your guitars off gently around 14khz mark. Roll off from 80hz down and then see what that leaves you with.

that i did already...didnt help.....although mine was more around 15k and 60k

and yea....peace and love and good happiness and stuff...more metal than metal:kickass:

"Cheap" sounding frequencies, I dunno man it's just such a vague term. 800Hz can sound "cheap", 1.5KHz can sound "cheap", 2.6KHz can sound "Cheap", know what I'm saying.
With time, better tone will come. If the source tone isn't up to scratch, you can't just "dial out" or "boost" frequencies to make it sound good. You gotta get the source tone in order and from there work on it

"Cheap" sounding frequencies, I dunno man it's just such a vague term. 800Hz can sound "cheap", 1.5KHz can sound "cheap", 2.6KHz can sound "Cheap", know what I'm saying.
With time, better tone will come. If the source tone isn't up to scratch, you can't just "dial out" or "boost" frequencies to make it sound good. You gotta get the source tone in order and from there work on it

yea i know where ur coming from....im working on a better source tone....but really havent been able to get something workable from podfarm...i should really consider getting the metalpack.....or better still an engl:p....

but yea trying to make do with the best i have

Keep in mind that most guitar speakers are only rated up to around 5kHz (though there can be content up higher depending on how the track was recorded). Throw a low pass filter with a gentle slope on the track and pull it down till the high end junk is gone.

no offense, but that sounds just horrible. what is the signal chain on it?

Try this very basic setup instead: noise gate (optional), (tube)screamer with all knobs at 12 o clock, threadplate with all eq's on 12 o clock except presence at 1 and then add gain to taste, threadplate cabinet with the condenser microphone (U67?)

u know whats funny...thats almost exactly what im using...except the mic

oh sorry...forgot abt that...ok

Its an IbanezRG1550 equipped with a HAS sound VIPER, with a 10ft cable(Gepco from Lavaman),into Toneport UX1 through USB into my PC into cubase....