Guitarist in two bands

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
I'm putting this in here, because this seems to get more attention than some of the other forums. haha

So, I hope the n00b doesn't get flamed for this :p, but I have a little predicament.

*Wall of Text*

I have been playing with my friend for almost half a year now. I play guitar, he plays drums. Probably the best drummer I have ever played with. We see music similarly and we both enjoy various genres. We have been playing essentially metal. We have about 2 full songs already. (www.myspace.com/cjloyproductions) called Tonight. Well, the vocalist is already in a singed band called Versaemerge (fueled by ramen). He plays bass in that band. So, there are only 3 of us right now. Well, The vocalist went on tour and just recently got back, and the drummer has moved to orlando. So I am still living about an hour and a half away. Things are obviously tough. I record some ideas, send them to him, and he'll write to it. Well, I don't trust my writing much which leads to me not writing. So, that poses a big problem.

Band 2. Its more of a popish rock band (www.myspace.com/thesummerrushfl). I was in a band previously with a few of the guys, and they really want me to be in that band. Its not really "my" style, but I still enjoy playing it. They are local and I was talking to the vocalist and he told me they are very serious about progressing with the band and they are throwing down money for decent recordings, promos, etc.

I don't know what I should do. Is it possible, or even fair to be in both bands? I don't want to cheat anyone out. But I don't want to burn any bridges. I figured some people on here might have been in similar situations. Based on the music, which band has more potential? I also forgot to mention that my first band, both of the other members have enormous hook ups in the industry. So, excuse the wall of text, but I appreciate any serious feedback. :kickass:

stay in both dude! at the moment my main band is an indie/dance/rock band - after that im in a rock/rap band and me and my 2 mates are still trying to get our new metal band going

the more spread out you are the more options you have for your future so stay in the lot until and when you see an opportunity take it and step over everyone that gets in your way

Do both. As long as you are not hiding the fact that you are in both bands from either band there is no problem.

what if one band bitches about not "fully dedicating" myself?

I feel like I'm talking about jealous girls here. haha And thanks for the advice, guys.

Dedication is being there when it counts and focusing on it enough to get things done... if you happen to have time to do that with two bands, then more power to you... I say dont worry about it until it becomes a problem, then decide which one will yield the best results for what it is you want to accomplish.