Guitarists- Your fav mic combos

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I'm going to trade my newish 57 for a 60/60 power amp and another cheap condenser so I'll be mic less for a bit.

Or until I just buy new (used) ones.

I was thinking 57 + e609 or two 57's or something. I don't think I can afford an md421 so that's out of the question.

If it matters, gp1000 > peavey 60/60 > gt75's

I do have a musicians friend card I've never used, anything over 400 is no interest for 12 months.

Hmm sm7 anyone? Ok i'm rambling.

:lol:

one sm57 is usually fine for me :) More mics can complicate things a lot more than is sometimes needed. I much prefer to spend longer getting the mic and amp set up perfectly and not have to worry about 2 mics.

That said, it might be cool to have something like an i5 or AE3000 or something aswell for when you want to change things up a bit....

Yeah man, one good 'ol SM57 can definitely do the trick man. It's a standard for a reason :)

FWIW I have yet to use an e609 and be happy with the results. I always end up using a 57, despite my friend's bitching because he bought the e609 based on the rep at GC telling him "it's like an SM57 but better man"...'fraid not.

~006

I'm pretty similar minded with the i5. I quite often stick an i5 up against the cab whenever I put a 57 up too, and I listen to the i5 and think "that sounds pretty good", and then play the 57 track and it just sounds better. Something in the top end is what sways it for me.

my fav combo is 57 and 421, put your 57 in your normal best single position and mix in the 421 for added low end and punch, for rhythm tracks its my go to.

They are pretty cheap on eBay, but I wouldn't buy it there. There is a fucking lot of Chinese fakes, which are worse than cheap shures for 20$, and look exactly like the original. The only way to check if it's original is either to hear it or open it.

I like to dual mic guitar cabs with two Audio Technica AE3000.

I've also tried a SM57 with a Audio Technica AT3035 and I liked the result.

They are pretty cheap on eBay, but I wouldn't buy it there. There is a fucking lot of Chinese fakes, which are worse than cheap shures for 20$, and look exactly like the original. The only way to check if it's original is either to hear it or open it.

Yeah no doubt, there's all kinds of scams.