Guitarsolos: stomp box or ITB delay?

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I've always used the PT delay for my guitar solos, cause it's A stereo and B easier to dync with the project etc, also can the same delay be used for vox and solos.

but today I've just tried recording a solo with the carbon copy in the loop of the amp, printing the delay onto the track....and damn, does that slay!
I think I'll be doing it more often now.....

any thoughts?
How are you guys doing it?
does anyone use delay pedals in the loop while tracking/reamping?

Used to do it all the time, though it was more of necessity back then, due to a lack of equipment. But modern digital recording has caused, even for me, a fear of commitment. Afraid to print things and being stuck with it. Instead, I like to forever tinker with things. Lately I've been thinking of going back to my roots of recording and doing more things like this.

yeah, I've done that step recently as well...
in the worst case scenario I can still reamp, but usually I just keep the tones I dial in when recording...makes the mix come together much quicker IMO

i always us ITB delays because of the snycing and stereo sound.
the only thing that gets printed is wah here.

I've re-amped with the massey td5 and echo boy before when i didnt have a pedal about and got awesome results.

In the past I've often 're-amped' through a delay pedal, so it's available to tweak.

Once it's perfect I just print it and write automation for the in's and out's.

how do you get the delay between the preamp and poweramp/cab then?

cause I hate how a delay sounds in front of a distorted amp

AH!
I'm the other way round. I like the way it gets dirtier!
And I used a Memory man.

I guess you could set up an aux input routed in an out of tools with the delay on to use it as a pseudo pedal/rack. Don't know how that'd be with dly comp though.

I use a delay pedal/rack unit in my loop when I record myself because I generally have everything sync'd up to the song tempo already, and to me it sounds better but I've only used the stock PT delays. But with everyone else it's easier to just throw a plugin on the track

AH!
I'm the other way round. I like the way it gets dirtier!
And I used a Memory man.

I guess you could set up an aux input routed in an out of tools with the delay on to use it as a pseudo pedal/rack. Don't know how that'd be with dly comp though.

It would work since is the only way to do plugin insert otb. And yes you read it correctly, plugin insert in hardware world...

i think if its a riff that relies heavily on the delay for the sound of the riff... then record with it, it also depends on how you've written it. i've come up with delay patterns on pedals that i've found very hard to match exactly with a plugin, and vice-versa.

but if your just using the delay as a sort of reverb sound to make it big.. probably the plugin version is best :p

I usually like to add ITB delays simply because of what Ermz said, its really hard to tell the right wet/dry proportions without it being in a mix, just seems a lot easier in finding the sweet spot of the delay.