Gus G is the new Ozzy axeman

I think this is great news - I really like Gus G - especially on the first two Nightrage albums - "Sweet Vengeance" and "Descent Into Chaos". In fact - I like most of the stuff Gus has been involved in from the darker Power Metal of Mystic Prophecy to the more pop feel of Firewind and everything in between and oh yes - the great Dream Evil :headbang:.

Just make the trade off totally complete and dress up Andy Alkman as Ozzy and give Gus G total riff control and I believe we'd have something here.

I've enjoyed is stuff with Nightrage and Dream Evil. :headbang:

Although i've never been able to get into much Firewind stuff, I have enjoyed the music and some of the riffs/solos that he does with them. He is a very talented song writer and player.

I think Gus G is the kind of player that will stand out as the next great addition to the Ozzy axeman history book, so long as Ozzy actually keeps him and doesn't fuck things up.

Ozzy will need someone who can bring good riffs and song ideas in.........I like some of John 5's faux country stuff.......but everything else I've heard is, meh. Spent to much time in shit bands raking the cash the last 10 years. Most of his stuff to me sounds like throw away MMansin riffs with techno beats and wank.....not much of a 'song'.

I think this is great news - I really like Gus G - especially on the first two Nightrage albums - "Sweet Vengeance" and "Descent Into Chaos". In fact - I like most of the stuff Gus has been involved in from the darker Power Metal of Mystic Prophecy to the more pop feel of Firewind and everything in between and oh yes - the great Dream Evil :headbang:.

+1 :headbang:

You guys that are talking about that Ozzy sucks.. is it so fuckin' weird that he sucks now days considering that Zakk Wylde down tunes his guitar a holy fuckness of magical ice cream?
Ozzy had trouble singing in D back in the good old days, how the fuck should he be able to sing to G-tuned guitars now days?

I blame Ozzy's bad performance entirely on Zakk Wylde..
I love Zakk, but it was about fuckin' time he left Ozzy.

he's still got to sing the classic stuff......they don't tune Crazy train down to drop A.

Zakk should drop the BLS stuff and go back to something between P&G and BOS. Drunkin' viking Biker stuff is old, as is the same drop tune, mid tempo pentatonic riffs.

I know that everyone considers Ozzy to be dumb, but the guy knows what he's doing; Zakk Wylde had nothing new to offer to Ozzy. He was the weakest link, he had to go. Plus the fact that all of a sudden he turned from "pretty boy" into this drunken redneck didn't help much.

Gus G is a hell of a player and a good composer. I was sick and tired of Zakk's pentatonic runs and I know that Ozzy was too.

You do realize that Zakk downtunes his guitar becuse Ozzy can't hit the high notes anymore?

Im definitly not buying that.
Because if you check the songs where Ozzy actually get to sing in D or even E, you'll notice that it actually sounds like Ozzy should!
But if its more downtuned then D, he starts to sound like shit.

We'll see how it really is.. if Gus G keeps playing ridiculously downtuned, its because of Ozzy's voice.

the last 2 times i saw ozzy, he was WAY off... not having trouble hitting a high note or something like that. he was out of key and off rhythm/timing. not to mention being barely intelligible. i think it was at the 2007 ozzfest, zakk was visibly upset onstage cuz ozzy was a train wreck! no voice after 2 songs. pathetic.

probably the main reason ozzfest is gone, cuz ozzy live is just a joke now. or maybe ozzy got tired of BLS totally blowing him away at his own festivals?

Im definitly not buying that.
Because if you check the songs where Ozzy actually get to sing in D or even E, you'll notice that it actually sounds like Ozzy should!
But if its more downtuned then D, he starts to sound like shit.
Older Sabbath stuff was in C#. :err:

I was waiting for someone to say it! He was also singing fairly high on those songs ("Under The Sun", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" for example).

I went off on the last thread about how I don't understand why people are blaming Zakk for Ozzy's downturn in musical credibility. He hadn't hardly any of the material between Ozzmosis and Black Rain.

And, I still think BLS is boring and I wish Zakk would stop singing.

Yes, but that was in the 70's.. and compare "Paranoid"(E) to "Masters Of Reality"(C#).
Even if you look at "Down to Earth"(E/D) and compare it with "Black Rain"(B/A/G) you'll hear the difference.
If you check live material where he is singing over E/D and then listen to when he is singing over B/A/G, you will understand what i am talking about.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to hear when someone is singing outside their range.

Edit: Oh, and i know Zakk didn't write the newer material, and i never once questioned the actual songs.

So your theory is that Zakk just bullied Ozzy into playing songs he can't sing, that are (at least to me)sonically not in any different range than he was singing earlier? Seems to me that you just want to bash/blame Zakk becuse you don't like him.

Anyway, I don't get the point in all of this finger pointing. IT WAS ZAKKS FAULT TO MUCH PENTATONICS NO IT WAS OZZ HE CANT SING BLA BLA what does it all matter? My guess would be that it's not so simple that you can just blame the entire thing on Wylde, or any other one for that matter.

So your theory is that Zakk just bullied Ozzy into playing songs he can't sing, that are (at least to me)sonically not in any different range than he was singing earlier? Seems to me that you just want to bash/blame Zakk becuse you don't like him.

Anyway, I don't get the point in all of this finger pointing. IT WAS ZAKKS FAULT TO MUCH PENTATONICS NO IT WAS OZZ HE CANT SING BLA BLA what does it all matter? My guess would be that it's not so simple that you can just blame the entire thing on Wylde, or any other one for that matter.

You really don't know me, huh? ;)
Zakk is one of my biggest influences.. i actually even have the official BLS-vest:

berserkin.jpg

(I WAS NOT DRUNK! I PROMISES! :lol:)

Im not talking about "the songs Zakk makes Ozzy play", im talking about the fact that Zakk is downtuning "Crazy Train" to G live, and there is no frikkin' way in hell that Ozzy can sing that low.
So the only thing im talking about is Zakk's way of destroying the classic Ozzy material by playing them sloppy, too much pinch harmonics and at the same time making it impossible for Ozzy to sing to them.

And im saying this as a fan to Zakk, because i think its really sad to see such a great guitarist go to waste.
Listen to his demo to Ozzy, fuckin' amazing playing on there..

Well, if you don't get me by now, then we'll just have to agree that we disagree! ;)

They should have Gus on guitar and just replace Ozzy with Zakk for the vocals, Zakk does a better Ozzy impression than Ozzy does these days.