Gus G (Ozzy, Firewind) guitar lesson

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Gus G (Ozzy Osbourne, Firewind) guitar lesson (Guitar World) :

I think his playing is amazing :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf022TSoLRg&playnext_from=TL&videos=-9_QilIfHOY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFLnNuLYC7k&playnext_from=TL&videos=QR3M0tb7xbM[/ame]

Wow very cool.

I think it is sweet that these lesser known amazing players are starting to get the spotlight and the older bands bringing in new blood. First Broderick and Megadeth and now Gus G. and Ozzy. And so well rounded truly solid players too. Well I dunno maybe Buckethead and GnR might have been first, or Rob Zombie and John 5, can't keep track of timelines anymore.

I have been fans of these guys since the Jag Panzer (Broderick) and the Dream Evil/Nightrage (Gus G.). F'n sweet!

I've never been able to understand how guitarists can do that vibrato (the pulling the string downwards type) and just pulling the strings with their fingers, rather than their whole wrist. I guess some people just have stronger hands than others, because if I tried that shit I'd give myself a permanent injury, I need to have my wrist supporting my fingers.

(waiting for the "speed but no feeling" comments to start)

Well seeing as how he has great vibrato, I think anyone that might say he has no feel and is all speed would just be retarded and deaf.
The guy can have plenty of feel, far more than all those so called "feel players" assholes that play shitty blues songs and can't bend a string and do vibrato in tune worth a shit.

First Greek guitar hero, and a great guy!

Here in Greece there were some guitarists (mainly non-metal) that were ahead of their time, like this guy:

(Yannis Spathas, of Socrates)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been able to understand how guitarists can do that vibrato (the pulling the string downwards type) and just pulling the strings with their fingers, rather than their whole wrist. I guess some people just have stronger hands than others, because if I tried that shit I'd give myself a permanent injury, I need to have my wrist supporting my fingers.

Maybe I'm not getting exactly what you're describing but to me bending strings downward was always easier and required less strength.

Usually the "guitar heroes" have really flimsy string sets, like .009 or even .008, so it is much easier to do than with the usual .011 or .012 set. Of course, it comes at the cost of rhythm tone - 90 % of the lead players have a fucking awful rhythm sound. So weak sounding.