Gus G (Ozzy, Firewind) guitar lesson

i've seen gus twice with firewind in concert the dude is great, has feeling and speed and he's original thats what i saw the first time i heard him...alot of flavor in his solos

ya know, ya know, ya know, thats ok with this guy, BUT when you compare him with the warmth, GUTS and playing of Zakk -at least for ozzys music style-...; Gus is not a good replacement for him, sorry.
This guy sounds like those guitar VSTI, very clean but with a mechanical playing. Also in the album you can hear a lot of Zakk licks that doesnt fit Gus style. Its like he was asked to do the same instead of his own stuff.

ya know, ya know, ya know, thats ok with this guy, BUT when you compare him with the warmth, GUTS and playing of Zakk -at least for ozzys music style-...; Gus is not a good replacement for him, sorry.
This guy sounds like those guitar VSTI, very clean but with a mechanical playing. Also in the album you can hear a lot of Zakk licks that doesnt fit Gus style. Its like he was asked to do the same instead of his own stuff.

Agreed.

There are even times during the solos he was asked to do ALMOST sound as if he's about to do something unique and cool--instead of sounding like just warmup exercises--but then the solo ends abruptly. Even Gus's Firewind stuff isn't that great, to me anyways. He's a phenominal player in a technical sense, but does lack that feeling, imo.

I will give him this tho... watching live footage of him playing classic solos by Randy, Jake and zakk... OMG! He does pull them off very well while staying true to the original style of those guitarists. I think he covers the tunes very well, but the uniqueness he brings to ozzy is lacking.

Overall though, I do like this new Ozzy album. My minor complaints don't outweigh my love for at least having a new ozzy album that doesn't sound like BLS ^_^

He was ASKED which means he had no choice.

I read in a Metal Hammer interview (greek one) 6-7 months ago, that he was even asked to play only with a "Les Paul" style guitar when on stage, because that's what the fans were used to.

Imagine Ozzy, Sharon and countless managers behind them: i don't think that Gus G is a guitar player, but more like an actor who is obliged to do some things. :err:

Last but not least, all of you that think Gus G lacks emotion, please watch this YouTube video, especially the second "atmospheric" part (hope i don't sound like a 15 year old Gus G groupie:D )

Last edited by a moderator:

I read in a Metal Hammer interview (greek one) 6-7 months ago, that he was even asked to play only with a "Les Paul" style guitar when on stage, because that's what the fans were used to.

Imagine Ozzy, Sharon and countless managers behind them: i don't think that Gus G is a guitar player, but more like an actor who is obliged to do some things. :err:

Last but not least, all of you that think Gus G lacks emotion, please watch this YouTube video, especially the second "atmospheric" part (hope i don't sound like a 15 year old Gus G groupie:D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHy-OVlijsQ

Lol the beginning of that song (before the lead part kicks in) sounds like an ALL OUT WAR song :devil:

Sure he has feeling, but not the right one for Ozzy.
And while that second part was good, i cant help but feeling that its missing dynamics, which is one of the most important things for a guitarist in my opinion.

I judge most guitarists on vibrato, intonation and dynamics, because to me those skills are what makes one guitarist sound different and unique from another one.
Then on top of that you have feeling, composition etc.. but thats all subjective opinions.

I dont have anything against Gus G, and its pretty cool to hear him talk about his views on playing the guitar.
But in the end, he cant dish out that sound that Randy, Jake or Zakk did(They all had a similar bite/aggression in their playing.).. that being said, Gus G is an amazing guitarplayer, but as a huge Ozzy fan i think they picked the wrong guy for the job.

I'd love to see ANY of the "feel" snobs out there play as accurately as Gus. Post your clips. Bring it.

The whole thing i had to say about Gus in regards to feel is the point that you hear that he is trying so hard to play accurately, that he forgets to actually say something with his playing.
But in the end it comes down to taste; If you like Gus G you like him, if you dont like him you dont.

And arguing with feel over accuracy is pretty much fail, as they have nothing to do with each other(One can be there without the other, or both can be combined.).

I think Gus is going to shine on the next Ozzy album (if he is still there.) I was just reading this months Guitar World article with him and Ozzy and while he did record, or more appropriately re-record the guitar parts, solos and rhythm on the new album he was not involved in the writing process. I think he will benefit from being involved in the writing process next time.

I did pick up the CD this week and do like it quite a bit for an Ozzy disc - it still amazes me that Ozzy pretty much sounds exactly like he has always sounded (at least on studio releases - must be some of that studio magic going on), but even the writing on this disc is better than I expected.

Oh WOW. I never thought much of that guy and Firewind in general, but holy crap, there's sooooo little movement in his technique, everything is precise and calculated. It's pretty much flawless.

Oh WOW. I never thought much of that guy and Firewind in general, but holy crap, there's sooooo little movement in his technique, everything is precise and calculated. It's pretty much flawless.

you should check out nightrage,dream evil and mystic prophecy he really shines there...with ozzy he's playing below his ability

Last edited by a moderator: