Gus G (Ozzy, Firewind) guitar lesson

I think Ozzy fucked up and got confused in his old age.

Should be Gus Drax up there with him and not Gus G. Both great players from Greece with the same first name, so I won't blame Oz too much I guess.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R6YV4iIIuk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

http://www.myspace.com/gusdrax

I think Gus G is a great player and all... but his solos aren't memorable for me at all. Nothing that leaves them stuck in my head or humming them during the day. Maybe it's just me, idk.

Drax's solos and playing is a lot more melodic and he has his own style, imo. Oh well... too late now I guess.

That guys style was allot more interesting, but there is something weird with his intonation. ;X

Personally I find his style quite similar to Gus G's based on that video. I agree that Gus G's solos aren't that memorable and I'm not a big fan of his music in general but I think he is better.

Personally I find his style quite similar to Gus G's based on that video. I agree that Gus G's solos aren't that memorable and I'm not a big fan of his music in general but I think he is better.

If being faster makes you better, then yes I would agree. But I don't agree that speed or technique makes you a "better" musician. Good music and melody make you a good musician.

While Gus G may be faster and have better technique, he's easily forgettable at the end of the day. Take a look at Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, and Jason Becker for example, they know how to play unbelievably fast, have amazing technique, but still knows how to slow it down and write catchy, melodic and memorable solos. Even Petrucci, albeit he's an arrogant ass most of the time, he still knows how to slow it down and write some beautiful solos. Other players like Yngwie, Rusty Cooley, Gus G, and so on, are players in my book that offer more flash than substance.

I wont argue that Gus G is a good player, and some of you may love him for his technique and speed, but he does nothing for me music wise.

If being faster makes you better, then yes I would agree. But I don't agree that speed or technique makes you a "better" musician. Good music and melody make you a good musician.

While Gus G may be faster and have better technique, he's easily forgettable at the end of the day. Take a look at Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, and Jason Becker for example, they know how to play unbelievably fast, have amazing technique, but still knows how to slow it down and write catchy, melodic and memorable solos. Even Petrucci, albeit he's an arrogant ass most of the time, he still knows how to slow it down and write some beautiful solos. Other players like Yngwie, Rusty Cooley, Gus G, and so on, are players in my book that offer more flash than substance.

I wont argue that Gus G is a good player, and some of you may love him for his technique and speed, but he does nothing for me music wise.

Yes, I was talking about technique. Musically, like I already said, the video you posted sounded similar to something Gus G would play and it was equally unimpressive as Gus G's stuff.

I haven't listened to any other of his music though, maybe he has material which is better.

I find it odd that people are saying Gus G's solos are unmemorable, when I've always found them to be the only thing I liked about him - I don't think he's a great songwriter, but his solos have always been like songs in themselves. Listen to the first Firewind album, generic songs, but awesome phrasing in the solos imo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v55DZGXUTA4&feature=related[/ame]

Pretty cool solo actually.. but again, i wont remember how it went in 2 hours. ;)

(waiting for the "speed but no feeling" comments to start)

This is so not the case with him. While I don't personally enjoy Firewind I think hes is very very talented and has speed AND feel. Karzogs comment about his picking definitely stands, his picking is so clean its scary. Lets see how the next Ozzy album turns out when he starts writing songs for the band.

But the kid is one hell of a player.

This is so not the case with him. While I don't personally enjoy Firewind I think hes is very very talented and has speed AND feel. Karzogs comment about his picking definitely stands, his picking is so clean its scary. Lets see how the next Ozzy album turns out when he starts writing songs for the band.

But the kid is one hell of a player.

I should mention that it wasn't my intention to defend Gus G's playing with that comment, I just find it really annoying that every time someone mentions how much they like a guitarist with this level of technique there's ALWAYS a guy that points out how there's no feeling when you play fast.
Personally, while I enjoy watching most of these guitar players I rarely enjoy listening to their music. Still, I find this "no feeling" argument really stupid.

edit: and these few I do enjoy it's not because they have more "feeling" it's just because they're better composers.

I should mention that it wasn't my intention to defend Gus G's playing with that comment, I just find it really annoying that every time someone mentions how much they like a guitarist with this level of technique there's ALWAYS a guy that points out how there's no feeling when you play fast.
Personally, while I enjoy watching most of these guitar players I rarely enjoy listening to their music. Still, I find this "no feeling" argument really stupid.

edit: and these few I do enjoy it's not because they have more "feeling" it's just because they're better composers.

Oh dude I totally knew what you meant! I was just commenting on his playing before someone actually said that. There is something to be said for technique, but there is also something to say about feel.

guys that I dont get are Rusty Cooley, Michael Angel Batio, those guys to me are just technique monsters with no feeling in their playing. Its amazing to see what they can do, but I cant listen to them for very long.

He was on the first two by Nightrage - Marios Iliopoulos has been on the last two.

Nightrage has always basically been Marios's band hasn't it? Gus was only on the first two albums though. Out of those, I thought the first one was awesome... Second one was kinda lacking... For some reason the vocals sounded a lot worse.

New Ozzy...
Snare sample that's in use in Scorpions latest's? Is it the same as in this?
Sounds very similar... maybe Slate's? Or i'm not sure...
Is it? Anyway have to say that this record rocks nicely... :hotjump: