Guys running noise gate pedals for recording: want to know who uses what

Harry Hughes

  ‬‬
Apr 25, 2009
I just wanted to get a clear idea of what the current Sneap forumite membership uses for their noise gating for guitar amps for recording.
This is not a thread asking for what you prefer or what you think is better (spare me the "ISP roolz" posts for now please), as I said I'm just wondering what you guys use

Well when doing DI's, I don't use anything. But I usually have my ISP rack unit running during reamping, set at very moderate settings to kill the loop(preamp) noise. The rest I just hand edit out.

I use an NS-2 for live stuff (well... PODxt 4-cable now, but that's what I used for as long as balls), but I'd always just hand-edit silence when recording and not let the NS-2 be in the chain for fear of tone suckage.

but I'd always just hand-edit silence when recording and not let the NS-2 be in the chain for fear of tone suckage.

That's a good point. I hear a very noticeable high frequency attenuation when I have my ISP turned on. For my Herbert it works out nice, but I don't think I'd have it on with any other amps I have.

Sometimes I use a Decimator when recording. It gates in a pretty natural way sometimes that I like in conjunction with my edits. Most times I don't use it though. I always use it live.

yeah bit of both here... ns2 not set very high and then by hand afterwards... just makes it a little easier.

Can I ask a dumb question? For the guys who edit noise by hand - are you doing volume automation, or cutting/strip silence type stuff?

Bobby