Had a beer with Jim Sheppard in San Diego!

buzz21

Medicated
May 4, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.mpp.org
I want to thank Jim for being such a cool dude last night and taking the time to have a few beers with a long time fan. I think my wife and I were the only 2 people there with Nevermore shirts on, and while Jim was strolling around in the restaurant after the set he came up to us and offered to buy us a beer. Great guy, and great to see he has a really positive view on the future of the band as there are some things are starting to fall into place and they know they have to keep their shit together to capitalize on the momentum they have. The guy even took off his NM beltbuckle and gave it to me - so it felt good to see the genuine appreciation he has for the fans!

As far as the set - it was one of the best ever. Reports of WD sounding better than ever are true and he was as clear and coherent as I have ever seen him onstage. The sound at HOB was awesome and Van's drums were pummeling and Jeff killed as always - every solo was crystal clear.

Final Product
I, Voyager
Engines of Hate/Poison Godmachine - the best back-to-back, heavy as fuck songs and really when they hit their stride and showed they were a force
Dead Heart
Born

Not a real big turnout and of course I wanted 6 more songs, but the band looks fresh, so get out and support them - lots of merch out there too....new white NM star logo shirts, red workshirt, beltbuckles, wristbands, etc.

I thought Jim had quit drinking?

Glad it was a killer show. I've got a few hours til' the la show.

That's cool, bro. The Nevermore guys are a friendly bunch. San Diego is a tough place for metal nowadays. It used to go off back in the early and mid 90's though when SOMA was the shit.

Jim has quit a lot of things! He was sipping a Stella while I was pounding beers down, and he did tell me they have a dry bus now, so every once in a while he goes out for one. We talked a lot about all the demons they have had to exorcise and I do believe it has made the band better. They know they have to keep this shit together and support WD, and just plain keep themselves alive after so many years on the road. I would have liked to invite them back to my place to enjoy some of the killer Cali bud though!

buzz21 said:
Jim has quit a lot of things! He was sipping a Stella while I was pounding beers down, and he did tell me they have a dry bus now, so every once in a while he goes out for one. We talked a lot about all the demons they have had to exorcise and I do believe it has made the band better. They know they have to keep this shit together and support WD, and just plain keep themselves alive after so many years on the road. I would have liked to invite them back to my place to enjoy some of the killer Cali bud though!

You shoulda. I don't think he's so worried about that.

Killer Cali bud? lol.

Sounds like you had an awesome evening! Jim's a cool dude for sure!

Jim is definitely a cool guy to hang out with. I remember at Gigantour, my friend and I were talking to him at the meet and greet, and then afterwards we were waiting around and he came over and talked to us some more. Told us a funny story of Abbath doing karaoke in a bar one night.

Dead_Lioness said:
"awesome Cali bud" :lol: bwhahah.

The best pot in the whole world is found in socal.....especially L.A., but San Diego is close. Northern Cali is close, too. Trust me, I know.:Smokin:

metalkingdom said:
The best pot in the whole world is found in socal.....especially L.A., but San Diego is close. Northern Cali is close, too. Trust me, I know.:Smokin:

Some of the best is. And its rediculously fucking cheap in comparison with alot of east coast/mid-west prices. :erk:

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Some of the best is. And its rediculously fucking cheap in comparison with alot of east coast/mid-west prices. :erk:

No, seriously... The best weed in the whole world is in Cali. You just have to know the right people. And it's not cheap by a long, long way. It's movie star weed.

metalkingdom said:

you gotta be kidding me..... in Cali ?!

and not in.... *say I don;t know... * The Netherlands?
oh oh... wait, and Hasis... you wouldn;t think in the middle east,
where the name and the way they started it came from: will be better?

come on.... Cali ? nah uh.
best I've ever had was in Egypt, and in Holland. (NOT Amsterdam!)

but hey.... its a matter of taste :)

Yeah, Jim rocks for sure.
When I met him he took a lot of time to talk to us and just hang out. Plus, I forgot to get a shirt inside the venue, and they wouldn't let me back in w/o paying, just to get a shirt. That fucking pissed me off. Jim came to the rescue though, and went in through the back, and got me a shirt. I would love to spend some time with the whole gang just to BS with them.

Well my bf and I offered Jeff some at Gigantour and he declined, said he'd quit that stuff. Don't know about Jim. Maybe he'll enlighten us....

:dopey:

Dead_Lioness said:
you gotta be kidding me..... in Cali ?!

and not in.... *say I don;t know... * The Netherlands?
oh oh... wait, and Hasis... you wouldn;t think in the middle east,
where the name and the way they started it came from: will be better?

come on.... Cali ? nah uh.
best I've ever had was in Egypt, and in Holland. (NOT Amsterdam!)

but hey.... its a matter of taste :)

You know, I knew that you'd be headed in this direction. I figured if anybody on here was a world traveler, it'd be you.

As far as hash goes, I lived in London for a couple of years and the best stuff by far was straight from the middle east. Lebanon to be exact. Totally agree with you on that. I smoked so much of that shit that I developed a stuttering problem that lasted for two years after I came back stateside.

But talking about just straight pot....Cali takes the cake. There's an extremely high demand for the cream of the crop buds in LA/Hollywood, and people with the money (and there are lots and lots of them) are willing to pay whatever they have to just to get the highest grade THC possible. As a consequence of the high demand high dollar high quality market, there's a lot of competition going on between the cultivators to try and outdo each other. And with the insane prices for this boutique weed, they are making a shitload of money and are able to put in a lot more back into their "businesses". That kind of money can't be found in other places.

And not only that, my stuff (bought in L.A.) won first place at the Bud Bowl in NYC a few years ago. We sent the Dutch and the Canadians home crying!

Never been to Egypt. I always wanted to go, but I thought there was no way in hell I'd be able to smoke there! I'd love to hear about it.