Hahahah, Pitchfork NAILS 'The Way of All Flesh'

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
Just to preface, I love Gojira. Without a doubt, one of the only heavy metal bands I give a shit about these days. But Pitchfork nailed the problems I had with the new record--the flawless, safe, and thusly boring production. From Mars To Sirius was rough around the edges, and light-years better for it.

I'll italicize the clinch line in the review :heh:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/147298-gojira-the-way-of-all-flesh

/puts on flame retard suit

Gojira:
The Way of All Flesh

[Listenable/Prosthetic; 2008]
Rating: 6.0

Gojira are like Democratic Presidential candidates-- policy wonks who are smart but stiff. They combine the tunneling riffs of Morbid Angel with the steely precision of Strapping Young Lad and Meshuggah. But the resemblance ends there. Unlike Morbid Angel, Gojira have no occult concerns; unlike Strapping Young Lad, Gojira have no sense of humor; unlike Meshuggah, Gojira's lyrics are actually about something-- namely, the environment. The band's ecological fetish somehow seems appropriate for its French origins. No American or Scandinavian death metaller would sing about "Flying Whales" or proclaim, "I embrace the world!" "Death metal" best describes Gojira only because "life metal" hasn't caught on yet.

The band is aptly named for the Japanese pronunciation of "Godzilla." Over time, Gojira's sound has increasingly mirrored the terrestrial destruction in their lyrics. The sound peaked on 2006's From Mars to Sirius, which began with "Ocean Planet", ended with "Global Warming", and deployed riffs that could knock down buildings. Production is as important to Gojira's attack as note choice, and The Way of All Flesh is an audiophile's wet dream. Instruments are defined with pristine clarity; drums are crisp yet heavy; guitars and bass form a crystalline audio monolith. Gojira sing about the evils of modernity, yet they're the sonic embodiment of it.

Such contradiction characterizes The Way of All Flesh. Lyrically, it's downright soulful. Once again, environmental themes abound. "Toxic Garbage Island" turns "Plastic bag in the sea!" into an angry mantra. "Adoration for None" thunders, "Everyone is doing their best to destroy it/ Simplicity's forgotten/ And we all drill the ground." But in between the Greenpeace anthems now is a whole lotta death. The theme is a far cry from metal's usual necrotic obsession. Instead, death and life are a continuum. "Oroborus" could be the stuff of yoga classes: "Serpent of light, movement of the soul/ Crawling stately along the spine/ Mighty phoenix from the ashes arises/ Firebird cycle, life, regenerate the cell." Joe Duplantier's vocals are stronger than ever, employing a wide variety of growls and singing.

Unfortunately, this humanity doesn't translate to the music. The performances are flawless, but overly so. Everything is polished to a gleaming sheen. When the band tries to swing, like in "A Sight to Behold", it comes off as, well, white. Heaviness is in no short supply; "Vacuity" is a single-minded stomp, while the title track pounds chugging riffs into the ground. Without edges, heat, or blood, though, such punishment is joyless. To their credit, Gojira avoid metal's tonal clichés in favor of open-ended abstraction. But it's cold and distant, unbefitting of the passionate lyrics. Undoubtedly, this material is better live, where the band has a fearsome reputation. There, the images are of raised fists and flying hair. Here, the images are of plastic discs and 1's and 0's.

- Cosmo Lee, November 26, 2008

Hmm, good review but I disagree that the production is "bad" perse. It's definitely different and more polished, but why does that have to be a bad thing? I think it sounds crushingly heavy, dare I say even heavier than FMTS.

The part you italicized is true, but Gojira themselves would tell you that it'd be foolish not to embrace modern methods of achieving the best sound possible. The band's entire mantra is about living in a modern society while staying in touch with the primitive.

One other thing I found funny in that review:

"When the band tries to swing, like in "A Sight to Behold", it comes off as, well, white."

Yeah right LOL. That song has more swing than a playground.

And who uses swings?

White people.

All I'm saying is that the production is totally safe. When things get a little hairy is when things get interesting, in my opinion. The sound of the new record is so technically flawless that it's boring. Granted, Gojira get away with it better than most bands, because of their understanding and fantastic implementation of dynamics, but even still, the candy gloss sheen of the new record takes away the mystery of who these guys are.

It's just not that interesting of a record.

Andy Sneap, what have you done.....

pd1330622_s.jpg

Is that Barack and Michelle?!

All I'm saying is that the production is totally safe. When things get a little hairy is when things get interesting, in my opinion. The sound of the new record is so technically flawless that it's boring. Granted, Gojira get away with it better than most bands, because of their understanding and fantastic implementation of dynamics, but even still, the candy gloss sheen of the new record takes away the mystery of who these guys are.

It's just not that interesting of a record.

Andy Sneap, what have you done.....
I just don't understand how that translates to "bad." Also, Andy Sneap had nothing to do with this record.

Also Brooks, weren't you just touting the production of this record on this very forum? Something about how great it sounds, especially through headphones? Now you say the production makes the record not interesting.

Interesting.

Oh, it does! It's technically a masterpiece of modern production!

That doesn't mean it's particularly interesting, though.

Technically impressive production is only impressive until the next record comes out with even more technically impressive production. TWoAF, to me, is the pinnacle of metal production in the year 2008. In 2009, something will come out even more impressive, and the cycle will continue until TWoAF becomes obsolete.

FMTS has an interesting, rough, jagged, gnarled production which will be interesting for years to come, no matter how music technology progresses in the future. It wont become obsolete, because it's not technically perfect, and didn't try to be.

Don't chase the dragon.

And yes, italics rule.

Or am I just a bitter old man???

Maybe I'm overreacting, but modern metal is just so safe these days it makes me want to throw up! It takes me away from everything I got into metal for in the first place!

Pillow production *puke*!

Keep your first takes! Record live! Fuck mainstream label production standards! Make music, not studio projects! BE A BAND!!!!

I'm absolutely on track with Brooks on this one. The character of the production is a big part of the music experience. Having a cleaner, punchier, louder etc. mix doesn't necessarily mean it will make the experience of listening to a record better per se.

There are bands like Fear Factory, Meshuggah etc. that just ask for state-of-the-art-over-the-top sterility and sonic impact, because these "lifeless" productions just suit their music damn well.

But take a dirty rock'n'roll record and polish it as far as possible and it will turn into fuckin' Nickelback or Bon Jovi. No soul... no life... no atmosphere.

So, I personally think Gojira pretty much perfectly balanced this on FMTS and TWOAF is just a bit too much. Great album nonetheless...

When you're doing a mix for a band, you try to make things clearer, punchier, smoother etc. until you hit a certain point when there's a perfect balance. Staying beneath that point, the album will lack potential of the production side. Going above it will take away atmosphere (or character).

For me, the perfect mixers/engineers/producers are guys who are capable to nail that individual spot as perfect as possible.

To me, part of being in a band means making your music sound as good as possible. All I can really say is that if you don't like what you consider to be "safe production" then just don't listen to it. Then you won't want to puke anymore and all will be well.