HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - The Bastard

The August Engine is significantly better than the Bastard to these ears, but I agree most here would probably like The Bastard better.

J. said:
The description sounds interesting, but for some reason I always think of gay prog rock or homosexual power metal when you guys mention them. Both of which are non-straight forms of music, and well, I'm not gay. [Seinfeld]Not that there's anything wrong with that[/Seinfeld]

That is what I thought too and while some of the vocals kind of meet that description, this album never steps over into the gay territory to me. I've listened to it three times now, once with the lyrics (and it is better when you read along) and I like it. It's certainly not the greatest thing ever, but its good and maybe it'll grow in time. It strikes me as Queen performing Edge of Sanity's "Crimson." But maybe that's just me. :tickled:

FUCKING BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!1111 :loco:

Looks like I only have to wait 2 weeks to see them, but both shows are still TBA which makes me nervous. Might have to go to the Phoenix show, it's on a Saturday too.

So after having The August Engine for a year or two I'm finally getting into The Bastard, and it rules! I don't know what turned me off of this one for so long!

Demilich said:
So after having The August Engine for a year or two I'm finally getting into The Bastard, and it rules! I don't know what turned me off of this one for so long!

It takes a long while to get into for sure. I remember I had it with me when I was working in Cincinatti (sp?) and I never took it out the car. Just blasted it all the time, and eventually started hearing all the [not-so-obvious] genius riffs/song structures/dual guitar harmonies amidst all that heavy metal.

We've all said it a million times, but like Skyclad, this album really comes alive when you read the lyrics along with the music. Actually the lyrics on August Engine are pretty fucking good too.

Locust Years couldn't come soon enough.