Hands of despair - Hereafter

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hey guys! I wanted to talk a bit about my album since most of the tracking is going on this month.

I used Mike (006) service with Lyle Cooper on drums, and I'm glad I did because the difference between the programmed drums tracks I sent and what I received back is phenomenal, a great drummer well recorded completely kicks the shit out of programmed drums. Anyone serious with their projects who has no drummer should hire them, I consider them really cheap too for what they do.

You can watch a video of the drums setup Mike did there : .

The album will also feature 3-4 guest vocals, including Egan (Daylight Dies) for some clean vocals. There's a short video of the recording of guest vocals from the singer of my other band Catuvolcus (sorry for the shitty sound quality) on the facebook page of the band https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hands-of-despair/114242368632454 . They'll probably be re-tracked next fall though, it was more of a test to see how his vocals fit on the spot I imagined them.

Track listing is as follows:

1- The departure (11:25)
2- Shattered memories (8:13)
3- Them (7:23)
4- Underworld (9:10)
5- Creator (11:45)
6- The road (9:01)

So songs are quite long, total length will be about 57 minutes.

If i had to do a quick description of the music, I'd say it's a darker version of Opeth, on steroids. I can't escape the comparison with Opeth since it's long progressive songs with growls, but Hands of despair is a lot more darker, doesn't have any folk elements (0 acoustic guitars on the album), and has lots of blastbeats, including long gravity blastbeats in one song.

I'll post some videos of the tracking during the month. Vocals will only be recorded next fall though. As for the production, I'm handling all recording duties, except drums naturally, but I don't want to mix/master it since I've heard some of the songs for about 1-2 years now, I definetely want some fresh ears to do the mix/master.

Feel free to Like the Facebook page if it interests you!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hands-of-despair/114242368632454

Cheers!
Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! You definitely had some awesome songs before and i think it's gonna turn out great. Think Mike's wrong about the tom sizes though, i think it's 10-12-16 inches. Just nitpicking around ;) You don't wanna mix, so when the time's right you're gonna post the files over here right? :loco:

Actually, I just measured and they are 8", 10" and 16". The two rack toms are tuned quite low for their size but sound awesome, and fit well with the larger proportion floor tom for that set. I actually like smaller toms tuned this way, seems to be more focused than a larger tom tuned the same.

Photo%20May%2001%2C%2010%2054%2020%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2001%2C%2010%2054%2028%20PM.jpg

I have the floor tom too if you'd like ;)

:lol: