Hank Marvin And The Shadows

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
No is not a thread about this pioneer of instrumental rock, but it is about his music.

Several years ago I learned that a tribute to this guy (which music I never recalled to have herad before) was made with FIRST class names on guitars en each song. Being a fan of good guitar players (and those in particular) I went for the album immediately and fell in love with it in a split second.

Today as I'm reordering and recording my tapes I was working with it again and I felt I needed to share this jewel with the UMOS people.

Released in 1996 by Pangea records the album is called: "Twang! A Tribute To Hank Marvin & The Shadows". The booklet comes with a preface by Pete Townshend wrote in 1983 about this British band of the early 60's. Each song is performed by top musicians, but I'm going to mention the most relevant per song.

'Apache' = Ritchie Balckmore (guitars)
'FBI' = Brian May (lead), Rick Parfitt/Francis Rossi (rythm)
'Wonderful Land' = Tony Iommi (guitar), Bev Bevan (drums), Don Airey (keys), Neil Murray (bass), Gordon Giltrap (acoustic guitar)
'The Savage'= Steve Stevens (all intruments)
'The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt' = Hank Marvin/Ben Marvin (guitars)
'Midnight' = Peter Green (guitras), Neil Murray (bass), Cozy Powell (drums)
'Spring Is Nearly Here' = Neil Young/Randy Bachman (guitars)
'Atlantis' = Mark Knopfler (guitar)
'The Frightened City' = Peter Framptom (guitar), Adrian Belew (guitar), Dave Pomeroy (bass), Micahel Cartellone (drums)
'Dance On' = Keit Urban (guitar), Steward Copeland (drums)
'Stingray' = Andy Summers (guitar), Greg Bissonette (drums)
'The Strannger' = Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Except for some people I never heard most guitar players are creme de la creme and the rest of musicians are not only great but form very interesting backgrounds.

This is NOT a metal album, is good old rock'n'roll played with respect and passion, if you want to give it a try (if available) you'll probably be surprised of the magic. ;)