Happy Story

Bass Fellow

Feb 7, 2002
Downtown
Visit site
After reading the Sad Story thread on here I struggled with the idea of telling mine when able. I didn't realize how personally sometimes(at least at this site) others here do "keep tabs". I've now been out of a nursing facility for one week. Have been in one or another since November 17, 2003. I'm supposed to be dead. Had the last rites read to me when I regained consciousness and funeral plots were discussed in front of me. It seems somewhat boastful while writing this down the first time, but believe me it's very fragile and only happy because of the current status of my situataion. I will try to keep it short but YOU (constant reader ha, ha)are an outreach in my life. I've been a huge drinker for 10-15 years. After losing my job in Dec. 2002, I continued drinking but became clinically(so diagnosed) depressed and literally starved because I didn't feel hungry and I needed my booze money. What happened next was a long time coming according to most coherent people but I always could give others advice just not heed my own. My liver and kidney said "Fuck it." Got jaundice and a Barium(?) count of 5.0 (should be btwn. .3 - !.3) Was told I probably wouldn't make through the night, to I will need a transplant, to permanent damge to the liver, to cirrhosis(Sp.) and finally and currently alcohol induced hepatitis of the liver. Kidney fine. Other things were found wrong with me but I'm trying to stay positve that this really matters to anyone when I'm still really alone and somewhat confused. However, I've been sober over eight 1/2 months (never had a habitual problem with any drugs but haven't done any of those in 2 yrs. 7.5 mos). I've lost 85 lbs. and actually have female problems again. Have a 650 sq. ft. studio apartment on the 13th floor overlooking the river and the home of the Toledo Mudhens (Jamie Farr's baseball hat worn occasionally on M*A*S*H*). I thank God everyday while this experience is testing my faith and has me rethiniking others. I know I'm stating this all "matter-of-factly" but I don't have my own pc and I promised myself I would at least try this. Even if ya give me smack I'm not ignored. I've been giving a huge oppurtunity and I'll try to make the best of it. I don't know where to end this and spin it into a comfortable image except to say THANKS. I keep hearing this song... " walk a mile in my shoes....something...don't assume and dammit don't praise me. My thoughts will..." Who sings that, man?:wave:

Wow. I really don't know how to reply to that... Just hope you hang in there. Take care of yourself.
My dad was told that he had to quit drinking, or he'd die. His liver was fucked.
He quit drinking, and his liver has completely healed itself.
Hope you stay healthy, Bass Fellow.

Thank you and after reading this again I guess I mainly wanted to say is that I'm so happy now. When I'm chilling at home at night I wish I could just tell the world. I don't mean to come off as still touch and go. I guess I mentioned all the above to say what I have overcome. To hopefully inspire those who know that they should change this or that but just can't deal with it right now. My liver is supposedly, after all that, somehow fine (just no more drinky-drinky). I'm past "one of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways". Didn't end up like Bon (and others)! Hooray!

Glad to hear you are doing better and are happy again. Hang in there, you should do fine. You said you were told you needed a liver transplant- did you get one or was that a bit of an overstatement by the doctors? It doesn't sound like you got one. BTW, when we lived in Michigan, we used to go to the Toledo Zoo all the time. I miss that place. Phenomenal zoo. Good art museum in Toledo, too. Never went down there for a Mudhens game, though. Back then, they were the Tiger's AAA team. If we wanted to watch minor league ball, we'd just go to Detroit and watch the Tigers. :lol:

Scott

Never got a transplant. Everthing just kept coming around after awhile. The Zoo is still awesome and the Mudhens are still Tigers AAA team. Tigers and Mudhens still pretty much reciprocate each other. Mudhens actually win when they play away from here. Were in first place until they just lost 5 0f 6 homestand.:Smug: The stadium is only in its second year and is beautiful.